Review of Stories In the Wake of Chaos

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of Stories In the Wake of Chaos

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stories In the Wake of Chaos" by Jacob Marley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Stories In the Wake of Chaos by Jacob Marley is a collection of six stories preceded by an introduction and followed by a conclusion in the form of 36 theses. The introduction to the book is very important because in it the author explains his understanding of morality as well as one of its forms, which he calls Phariseeism. From a critical point of view, the author describes social justice with very vivid examples from the centuries in which the human race was formed. The stories themselves are unrelated, and their plots are set in various historical epochs and continents. Although the author in the stories usually sticks to historical frameworks, and in some stories there are also historical figures, the emphasis in the stories is on social justice. An integral part of each of the stories are footnotes in which the author offers additional interpretation and explanation of certain phenomena or events.

One of the stories that I really liked is centered on the historical figure Pedro Bohorquez. This adventurer from the 17th century managed to raise rebellions against the Spanish authorities in the area of today's Peru by attracting the local population by declaring himself the Incan Emperor. Another story that I find extremely interesting is happening partly in the present and also in the future. In a very interesting and creative way, the author describes the society of the future in which the United States not only stopped funding healthcare but also managed to make the world a paradise.

What I would point out as an undoubted positive feature of the book is the extraordinary amount of information that abounds in each story. The author uses the story to share his observations and thoughts with the readers in an interesting way. Although fictional, the stories seem very realistic, which is certainly contributed by the author's gift for writing, but also by the excellent preparation that Jacob Marley carried out before writing. Even though I liked some stories a little more than others, all the stories are of uniform quality and are interesting until the very end. Stories typically focus on one or two characters who show their weaknesses and hypocrisy to the readers by the end of it. The stories abound in very interesting symbolism.

A minor drawback I noticed while reading Stories In the Wake of Chaos concerns its complexity. The book requires a certain prior knowledge of general culture, history, and geopolitics so that readers can enjoy its full potential. Sometimes the author was able to exaggerate a little to direct readers to the issues presented in a story, most often by adding to a character the knowledge that he was unlikely to possess. Also, the book contains a few more typos that do not affect the pleasant experience of reading this remarkable book.

The decision on how to rate the book, Stories in the Wake of Chaos, was complex. Numerous parameters, such as the exceptional preparation and the amount of additional literature that the author used when writing the book, but also the beauty of the written word and interesting conclusions, justify awarding the highest rate. Unfortunately, due to the slightly larger number of typos, this is not feasible, so I rate the book with three out of four stars.

I recommend the book Stories in the Wake of Chaos to readers who are interested in short stories on a historical basis and fans of thought-provoking books. I believe that the book will be the right choice for readers interested in politics, history, and the study of social and interpersonal relations.

Stories In the Wake of Chaos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Looks like this book has a lot to offer. I do want to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This collection seems very interesting to gain a better understanding of the social and political in the places and eras in which the stories are set. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This book seems quite interesting to me. I'm not much of a short stories person but the way you've explained it is making me more curious to know about them. Thanks for the amazing review.
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

I love short stories, especially those with historical backgrounds. That book looks like a good fit for me. Thank you, for this detailed review, I will definitely give it a try.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 07:35 Looks like this book has a lot to offer. I do want to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
The book is quite short but also complex. I often went back to parts I had already read but it was worth it. Thanks for stopping by.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 07:53 This collection seems very interesting to gain a better understanding of the social and political in the places and eras in which the stories are set. Thank you for your great review!
The author described social justice in a very vivid and critical but also comprehensive way. I definitely recommend the book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Rishi_reviews wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 07:55 This book seems quite interesting to me. I'm not much of a short stories person but the way you've explained it is making me more curious to know about them. Thanks for the amazing review.
I definitely recommend the book. The author has made an extraordinary effort. I must also say that I like the symbolism of the statue of Lenin in the middle of chaos, on the cover of the book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

katerina_12 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 08:06 I love short stories, especially those with historical backgrounds. That book looks like a good fit for me. Thank you, for this detailed review, I will definitely give it a try.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that my review interested you in the book. Thanks for the comment.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I bet this book will give me a lot of information about history. Thanks for sharing this incredibly written review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Unosthetic wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 02:08 I bet this book will give me a lot of information about history. Thanks for sharing this incredibly written review.
That's right, but the author uses his stories and historical components to more effectively convey his observations on morality. Thank you for stopping by.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I would love to read this bok. A history lesson in the form of short stories. Count me in!
Lovely review .
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The typos are unfortunate, but the stories do sound intriguing. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

zainherb wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 09:46 I would love to read this bok. A history lesson in the form of short stories. Count me in!
Lovely review .
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I am very glad that I managed to present the book and its potential in the right way.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Niens Now wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:56 The typos are unfortunate, but the stories do sound intriguing. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks a lot for the comment and feedback. I appreciate it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”