Review of Animal Village

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Animal Village

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Animal Village" by Nelda LaTeef.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Animal Village is a children's book written and illustrated by Nelda LaTeef. The author notes that the artwork “is done in acrylic, Indian ink and collage on art board.” I do not know what that means from a technical perspective, but from an observer’s standpoint, that phrase translates into gorgeous, bold, richly colorful scenes that transported me to the heart of West Africa, where the story unfolds.

When I received this book, I did not open it right away. I let it rest on top of my bookcase and admired the cover every time I passed by. Sensing the illustrations would be worth savoring, I did not want to rush into the story.

Chief Zamboha, the lion king, was helpless in the face of a drought that was ravaging the land of the Zarma. When he called a meeting of all the animals in the village to ask for ideas, the tortoise Timba was the only one who offered a suggestion. Her wisdom came from the “old stories” passed down from the elders, describing a solution that worked long ago. Will her solution work? Will the other animals trust advice from so long ago?

The author bookends the tale with information that enhances the story. At the beginning, interesting facts about the Sahara and Africa overall are listed beside a map of Africa with the countries in brilliant colors. After the story, the author shares she was inspired to write this book when she heard a narrative told by a griot, those in a village who are entrusted to pass down the “old stories.” The challenge presented in this book is also quite relevant to the sub-Saharan region, as drought is an ongoing issue in the area.

In the adventure, there are examples of setting aside one’s pride for the sake of others. There are also scenes highlighting the need for unity to survive. I admired Chief Zamboha. He was wise enough to ask for help when he could not come up with a solution to the drought. He knew the animals in his village well—both their strengths and weaknesses. And he knew when to lead and when to follow.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this read. I was motivated to learn more about Africa, and I was in awe of the quality of the illustrations. I felt totally immersed in the story.

It is my pleasure to rate Animal Village 4 out of 4 stars. It is an exceptionally well-edited and well-illustrated 28-page experience. The font is easy to read and does not distract from the full-page artwork. This book is recommended for ages 4 to 8, but readers would benefit from having an adult guide discussion around the educational elements surrounding the tale.

Animal Village
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

It feels like a great read, not only because it is set in Africa, but also because the illustrations seem really beautiful from your description. Thanks for the great review!
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I used to like such a story book like this. It's interesting that the book features some moral lesson like the need for unity to survive. well done for this review.
Signature of Grace.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I am very keen to see the illustrations as I am from Africa. The combination of vibrant pictures and a delightful story can only make this a must-read. Thanks for another wonderful review!
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

I've always been a fan of animal stories, I've noticed most animal stories pass a message of life(greed, wisdom etc) so I'll definitely read the book. Thanks for the review
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This reminds me of the stories of the animal kingdom with the tortoise being the wisest, which we always used to listen to when we were little.
I wonder what tortoise did this time. Did he genuinely help, or try to trick everyone as usual?
I believe I will love this book.

Thanks for the lovely review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

DyanaFl wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 09:51 It feels like a great read, not only because it is set in Africa, but also because the illustrations seem really beautiful from your description. Thanks for the great review!
I believe this book has the best illustrations of any children’s book I have reviewed. This was a lovely reading experience.
Thank you for your comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 14:40 I used to like such a story book like this. It's interesting that the book features some moral lesson like the need for unity to survive. well done for this review.
Yes, this story has some moral lessons, and even a surprise at the end! Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Fareed Regal wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 16:34 I am very keen to see the illustrations as I am from Africa. The combination of vibrant pictures and a delightful story can only make this a must-read. Thanks for another wonderful review!
The illustrations were breathtaking. There must be something about working with acrylic, Indian ink and collage on art board. :) Through the artwork, I felt as if I visited your beautiful continent. The landscapes seemed so real.

Thank you for visit and your kind comment.
Rosa Parks
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Can I first say that the cover is absolutely beautiful! I read and loved such stories as a kid, especially the characters (the wise tortoise, the lazy hyena, and the cunning hare). I'm certain children will love this story, not to mention the illustrations and the moral lessons that come with it. Thanks for the excellent review!
Last edited by Janet Kimetto on 21 Nov 2021, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to find out more about Africa! The illustrations seem very appealing, and that is a very important aspect for a children's book. Lovely review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"that phrase translates into gorgeous, bold, richly colorful scenes " - This statement has already earned the book a few points. I like it when authors make an effort to ensure the book is aesthetically pleasing and the contents is also top-notch. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I enjoy reading children’s books, especially when it has colourful illustrations in it. I’m sure kids will love this book. Thanks for your beautiful review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This book sounds very informative. Not only for children but adults too. The illustrations are a wonderful bonus. Great review! :D
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I liked how this book brings the reader especially the kids in West Africa. I want to consider reading this book. Thanks for sharing this incredibly written book.

Return to “Children's Books”