Review of The Girl in the Red Boots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of The Girl in the Red Boots

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl in the Red Boots" by Judith Ruskay Rabinor, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wow! That was my exclamation when I was done reading this book. I felt like I had been on a journey filled with lots of navigations. I felt spent, and at the same time, felt fulfilled. I went through different emotions, but I was left with peace and gratitude after turning the last page.

The Girl in the Red Boots by Judith Ruskay Rabinor is the author's real-life story, telling us about what life is like with her mother. She starts from way back in her childhood and travels way into old age, painting vivid pictures. Her feelings towards her mother from childhood develop into an interest in helping daughters and mothers in their relationships. This leads her to become a therapist. In between narrating her patients' experiences, she also narrates hers. Through it all, she unravels the beauty of the priceless bond between mothers and their daughters.

The author begins each section of the book with a meditation guide. Getting the best out of this book requires that one takes out some time to practice meditation. The sessions with her patients are so practical that you can quickly put yourself in their shoes and apply what she teaches for yourself. The way she connects with her patients is brilliant. It looks like she is simply narrating events, but it takes an excellent writer to put it all together like it is in this book. She compiles the imagery/meditation exercises at the end of the book, where one can quickly go back to them to practice repeatedly.

At first, I didn't think much about the title of the book. But as the story unfolded, I couldn't help but feel the emotion in that title. I loved that the writer wasn't focused on making herself look good. She pointed out her mistakes and the actions she took concerning them. I started off thinking her mum must have been a monster. I ended up admiring her mum very much. That was pretty much how it was for her growing up; she carried me along as she revealed her mother's personality. This book gave me a better understanding of my mum and how I could relate better with her. It was exceptionally well written, devoid of any grammatical errors, and I loved the flow of words. There was nothing to dislike but everything to like about The Girl in the Red Boots. Therefore, I'd give it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend it to women, especially those having problems relating with their mothers or daughters. I also recommend it to therapists to guide them as they work with their patients. It will be beneficial to people who have an eating disorder, as it will help them identify the root cause and deal with it. This is a thought-provoking, action-inducing, and relationship-transforming book.

The Girl in the Red Boots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

I feel like this is just the right book for me, as I happen to be at a point in my life where I finally came to understand my mother a little better as well as my relationship with her and the things that are maybe not wrong, but just different than how they were supposed to be. I love my mom to pieces, but there is this problem of the capacity in which I had a motherly figure versus a friend in my life growing up. I feel like this book could help me make the next step towards bettering my stance on it all.
Anyway, great review! :D
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a really wholesome book and I really need something like this right now. Thanks for the great review.
Marlene Venter
Favorite Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlene-venter.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Marlene Venter »

I am still so grateful to have my mum here. I'm looking forward to reading The Girl in the Red Boots. It sounds as if the author has a lot of experience to share, and it would be a shame not to take advantage of that. I have tried meditation in the past, and would like to see the author's way of practicing it.
Abdul Na-eem M
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Abdul Na-eem M »

Wao interesting to see a lot of emotions coming in. It’s a story that will definitely move you considering how it says about meditation and the author’s relation with the mother.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

Seems like a brilliant book on relationships, as it is full of emotions. Thanks for the review.
Amaka Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaka-ike.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Amaka Ike »

Wow so interesting, and filled with so much experience from the writer, what a good book to read. Good review.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Women having issues relating with their mothers or daughters will obviously find this book really helpful. Great review.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

The content of the books is quite different from what I expected when I read the title. It sounds like a very sincere, thoughtful, and inspiring book. As a child, I never really thought about the relationship I have with my mom, but the older I get, the more I appreciate her perspective, stories, and struggles. I want to make whatever time I have left with my mom as meaningful as possible, and it is precious to hear that this book explores exactly this bond between mother and daughter. Thanks for the great review!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for the review. At first glace, the title, "The girl in red boots" gave off the impression of an intrepid character going off on adventures or whatever but unfortunately it's actually about a therapist narrating her relationship with her mother while having sessions with her patients. While the book cover originally drew me in, I will have to pass up on this one.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

So many women I know struggles with a meaningful relationship with their mothers. I think this book will be a tool in helping them to build a meaningful relationship with the one person who knows them best. Thank you for a great review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This book will be of great benefit to both mothers and daughters. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”