Review of Trapped in Glass

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Trapped in Glass

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trapped in Glass" by Pam Records.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trapped in Glass, written by Pam Records, is a well-woven story that revolves around two sisters of Polish ancestry, Halina and Patcja, who live in Hegewisch, a Polish-American community on the south side of Chicago. During their childhood, around 1920, a man named Auggie owned a tavern called The Corner. After he disappeared, Joey, Patcja's first husband, took over the place. Then Joey went missing, and Patcja and Bear (her second husband) took control of the tavern. As one can see, a lot of mystery surrounds the ownership of this tavern, and there is something unknown buried in a patch of cement in the basement. The plot thickens when a detective shows up asking questions about Joey's disappearance. But no spoilers are allowed!

What I most liked about the novel was its narrative structure. I thought that the author's use of language was captivating, and the story was touching. I enjoyed reading about how Halina learned the art of healing from Baba, a Gypsy healer. Halina's commitment to the art of healing, especially her relationship with Baba and their mystic connection, colors the narrative. I liked the supernatural elements involved; they added texture to the story. Also, Halina came across as a relatable and true-hearted character, and I appreciated it.

There are also several interesting secondary characters. Halina had a crush on Nicky, who used to work for Auggie. He gave her money for nursing school and disappeared, though. Also, Margret, who worked as a waitress at the tavern, and Stach, who Baba liked and claimed was her nephew, are well-developed characters.

Additionally, I enjoyed the story's cultural backdrop. The sisters' story intertwines with bootleggers and Prohibition-related power disputes between rival criminal groups. The mysterious saga unfolds against a vividly painted historical context involving Chicago's infamous gang wars. I felt that the author did a great job of conveying Prohibition and its ramifications. The description of the life of immigrants in Chicago was also engaging. I particularly liked the narration of how the sisters often heard the news of partitioned Poland, and their parents frequently reminisced about the good old days in the Old Country.

Lastly, I gladly rate Trapped in Glass 4 out of 4 stars. There is no noteworthy negative point in this entertaining book. Also, the editing seemed clean and professional, for I found no errors. I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy historical fiction, especially America during Prohibition. However, it is not a fast read. If you dislike long and detailed stories, you might not like this one.

Trapped in Glass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amaka Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaka-ike.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Amaka Ike »

Mmmm this book is really filled with mystery, the disappearance of Auggie and Joey is really something else. Would really love to read this book. To know who is behind their disappearance. Thanks for the wonderful review
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

I'd love to solve the mystery of the ownership of the tavern by reading through the pages of this book. Great review you have here. Well done.
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

You know there's always drama when a nosy detective gets involved... I would like to know what happened and how the disappearance of Auggie and Joey is solved, if it is. 🕵️‍♂️
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Your review is going to catch the attention of many people. You did not give away any spoilers but still managed to whet the appetite of mystery seekers, like me. Hopefully, I will get to read this one. Well done on a great review!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This book sounds interesting - like one that is full of suspense. Definitely reading it soon. Thanks for this amazing review.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like a really captivating story. I enjoy reading historical fiction, but have mostly read British novels in the past. I have been meaning to explore American historical fiction for some time, and this might be just the right book for me. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a really amazing suspense thriller novel and I definitely want to know whose body that is buried under the cement. Thanks for the amazing review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I love a mysterious historical book with a handful of characters. I'm having all kinds of imaginations wondering what was hidden in the basement. This review couldn't have been written better. Thank you.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

Prohibition-era books are always so fascinating to me. Quite amazing how the removal of alcohol caused such a cultural shift nationwide. Congratulations on book of the day!
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

Historical fictional book 📖 when a detective w mysterious motives begin to find beried secret the book is full of old secrets , betrayal and the momentum of the book kicks in as you continue reading I will recommend it to history lovers 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting historical fiction novel highlighting family, sisterhood, Polish ancestry, marriage, disappearances, and investigation. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

There seems to be a big mystery about the disappearances of the owners of the tavern. Lots of other things going on too in this age of Prohibition in Chicago. Thanks for your review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I enjoy historical fiction and from what I have read so far and the review, this one looks intriguing. I have not read any historical fiction during the prohibition period, so I am looking forward to reading this.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This one sounds like a book for me. The mysterious disappearances around the tavern pique my interest and the characters sound lovable. Historical fiction is definitely my genre and a detailed, long story sounds like something that would bring me joy for a longer time period 😀 thank you for the lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Historical Fiction”