Review of How My Brain Works

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Review of How My Brain Works

Post by B Sheila Holt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How My Brain Works" by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book talks about my favorite phrase, knowledge is power. Having as much knowledge as we can about how our brain works will empower us to make many good choices in our lives. How My Brain Works by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin is a short book that is written to help the reader understand their brain and to try to explain many of the aspects of knowing if their brain is working normally and try to help explain any odd effects after such things as emotional injury or trauma.

The book is divided into two parts. The first part the book explains in detail about a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation. It also lets the reader know what to expect during various medical procedures and what they should expect from the physicians. In this evaluation, neuropsychology combines neuroscience and psychology, by looking at all the levels of the physical damage that is affecting the brain while working on a plan to help someone improve their emotional and cognitive functions. The author shares with us what treatment a neuropsychologist would possibly give for various life altering scenarios. The second part shows the reader how to keep their brain healthy by eating right, reducing their stress, getting daily sunshine and fresh air, plus other valuable tips you can read for yourself. This second part also talks in depth about the importance of proper nutrition. It discusses topics that tie our brains to the necessity of sleep, exercise, meditation and many others that you can pick up as you read on.

This book is not an explanation of how the brain literally works and functions from a scientific viewpoint.

Dr. Barbara is a neuropsychologist with over 30 years of experience. In the first part of this book she goes in depth with a discussion of what neuropsychology is and does and what a comprehensive evaluation looks like. This neuropsychological evaluation goes over many exercises to improve and maintain brain health and numerous other ideas for a healthy lifestyle and a healthy brain. It also gave useful tips on what will help or hurt cognitive function.

I enjoyed the fact that the author focused heavily on eating right, exercising and resting as a way of keeping your brain in good working order and also helping it to heal from many traumatic and emotional injuries. She shared numerous healthy and tasty meal ideas, how to grow your own herbs and recipes throughout the second part of the book. Another feature that I enjoyed was how the author included real-life stories from former patients.

This book is written in a very simple and easy to understand fashion. Concepts and ideas are not hindered by heavily worded grammar or big unfamiliar medical terms. I was so interested in each section as I read that I didn’t want to put it down until I was finished. I actually downloaded the audio version of this book as well and listened to a few chapters more than once. The author did her research well as she wrote this book. I appreciate the high quality of information she has given us with the appropriate references to her sources of information. Her recommendations are very easy and clear to understand and follow. She gives practical advise on many key points that the reader can relate to and explains why these items are necessary to our brain.

I found nothing to dislike about this book at all. The book seems to be professionally and exceptionally well edited. Everyone needs to read a book such as this that offers great lessons in many different areas of life. I will gladly rate this book four out of four stars. I would recommend this book to all healthcare workers, teachers and parents who are interested in learning about better health and the well being of the students and children they are in charge of educating. I would also recommend this book to anyone interested in psychology, neuroscience, and anyone looking to improve their mental health balance, anyone who wants to help guide other loved ones that have been dealing with any type of traumatic brain issue or emotional issue that has affected the brain.

How My Brain Works
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Very interesting review and book. I like that it is well thought out and that it has a great structure.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

The brain is quite a fascinating organ. Your review was extensive and very informative. I would like to read this book and educate myself on how the brain works. Thanks for the review.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

markodim721 wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 06:06 Very interesting review and book. I like that it is well thought out and that it has a great structure.
Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 09:35 The brain is quite a fascinating organ. Your review was extensive and very informative. I would like to read this book and educate myself on how the brain works. Thanks for the review.
Thank you so much. I loved this book. I’m sure you will enjoy it also. You’re welcome.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”