Review of A Dangerous Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of A Dangerous Man

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dangerous Man" by J.L. Engel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dangerous Man, written by J.L. Engel, is a thrilling crime novel based on the terrible reality of human trafficking. As the book begins, an emergency dispatcher receives a call to rescue an eight-year-old reported missing a few days before. With her, in an old warehouse in Boston, the police find women and children held captive, victims of a human trafficking syndicate, and dozens of dead men. The dead were Russian criminals who worked for Boston’s most brutal mobster, Yuri Kurikova (The Wolf). As the book unfolds, readers follow a vigilante named Ghost hunt him down.

There are at least a couple of noteworthy positives in this compelling story. Firstly, the characters are multidimensional and well-developed, especially the protagonist. As it often happens in plots with vigilantes, there is a moral ambivalence involved. Ghost makes readers a little uncomfortable about rooting for his success. Although he seeks justice and targets markedly evil men, he uses blatantly violent methods, and mayhem and collateral damage follow him. But I must not give away any spoilers! What I can say is that Ghost is a damaged person, and he keeps our attention and inspires reflection with his unorthodox methods.

Secondly, it is ripe with action from the very beginning. A full-on war between good and evil takes place throughout the narrative, involving fierce fights. Yuri Kurikova enlists two mercenaries named Richter and Simon (twins) to find and kill Ghost, and they are worthy adversaries. The author is a talented storyteller, and the book kept me hooked with its vivid descriptions of the crimes and conflicts that emerge as the hunt progresses. I liked how a mysterious man, Mr. X, who had a particular investment in Kurikova’s business, added another layer to the intricate storyline.

Moreover, what I liked the most about the novel was its subject; the awareness that Engel brings to the horrors of human trafficking was noteworthy. Although the author’s graphic descriptions of the living conditions of the human slaves were heartbreaking, I commend him for bringing attention to this grave problem.

In closing, I rate this amusing read 4 out of 4 stars; it does provide great entertainment. I found no negatives worth mentioning. Also, it seemed professionally edited, for I only found one minor mishap. I would recommend this novel to readers fond of fast-paced thrillers, especially if they appreciate vigilante stories. Due to its heavy themes and strong language, this book is for adults, and those who dislike violence and gore might consider skipping it.

A Dangerous Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
briton kezia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by briton kezia »

Wow! This is a brilliant review. I like your command of language and flow of ideas intuitively. Kudos! Am on my first free read, yet to make a review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like quite an interesting book, and the reviewer has portrayed in the best way possible. I'll definitely try to read it. Thanks for the amazing review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Human trafficking is an endemic that has ravaged this generation. I'd love to get this piece for more details on this theme.
Katso Puku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Katso Puku »

Am glad human trafficking is shined a light upon on the book because its a problem worldwide. Not only does the author write serious things but he also packed the book with thriller and action which makes it more interesting and wanting to read. I would definitely read it at a go.Thank you for the review
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your honest review. The image you cast of Ghost is reminiscent of Billy Butcher from the Tv series: "The boys" and while this might sound a little horrific in terms of the protagonist's "by any means necessary" approach, it leaves a more realistic impression on me on how justice warriors operate. Since this book falls within my area of interest, I would love to read it. Thank you for your honest review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

You mentioned the magic words in your review: "fast-paced thrillers" which makes this a must-read for me. In addition, I would like to learn more about human trafficking.
Excellent review!
Brownhgb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brownhgb »

This review for "A Dangerous Man " is spot on except for the comment that it's amusing... AMAZING, yes! While there are times that a particular scenario did cause me to chuckle, this author did a great job in touching every emotion at on time or another which makes me look forward to the next book in this new series. This is not my normal genre to read but once I started, I couldn't put it down!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific crime thriller but the story really goes into the darkest corners of humanity, so I should be in the right state of mind to read it. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

The plot sounds interesting and full of action and thriller *.* I will add it to my bookshelf. Thank you for the review
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

Crime novels are always thrilling and I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

It is good to know that the author did a good job in the character development of the book. Ghost is determined on unraveling the truth. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”