Review of Memoirs of a Serial Killer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Memoirs of a Serial Killer

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of a Serial Killer" by J.J. Franks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry Paul Heart was born into a middle-class family that adored him. As a small child, he bit another child and got away with it because that child had bit someone else. He was the boy all the girls wanted to date, played sports, and held an office on the student council in high school. He finishes college, gets married, and has a good life. Amelia is a detective in a small police force in her hometown of Lake Shore. Her chief tells her that the son of a member of the police force is missing. The little boy, Robby, has autism and is ten years old. Then a six-year-old boy goes missing, too. Memoirs of a Serial Killer: Children and Strangers by J.J. Franks is the story of a serial killer and the detective who wants to stop him. Is she able to? What makes someone turn into a serial killer? Do they find the two boys?

This first book in the series has many positive aspects. The author explains why it is easier for a serial killer or any criminal to target small towns. For instance, people in small towns tend to leave their doors unlocked and allow their children to play outside alone because they feel safe. Crime only happens in the big cities, right? The character development in this book is impressive. I felt the parents and detectives fear, heartbreak, and worry when a child went missing. I could sense the killer's enthusiasm while committing his crimes. The chapters are written in the first tense from either Henry's or Amelia's perspective, and they flow smoothly between each of them. The author includes humor to offset the darkness of serial killings. For example, I laughed when Gramps sent a text that his phone autocorrected, saying something different from what he intended. "People see what they want to see" and "idle hands and an idle mind are the devil's playground" are my favorite quotes in this book because they are so true.

There is nothing I disliked about this 124-page book. The book has a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot that is full of mystery. The cliffhanger ending makes me anxious to read the next book in the series.

This book deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. There are only six minor errors in this professionally edited book that did not distract from my reading.

I recommend this book to enthusiasts of mystery and crime thriller books. I caution readers that you will have a hard time putting this book down, so allow time to read it in one sitting. Only the most sensitive readers will find anything offensive in this book as it has only borderline profanity. Although the book is about murder, there are no descriptive scenes.

Memoirs of a Serial Killer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I guess I'll love this book, because l always love action and thrillers. And it's a good thing that the book is fast paced.
Signature of Grace.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Thank you for the review. Sounds like an interesting detective novel! That's a style of thriller that I like! Added it to my TBR list.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. You always do a great job summarizing books and I can't wait to find out as well why serial killers target smaller towns. This sounds like a very interesting book and i cannot wait to get started on it.
Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Steinkar »

I love books in this genre. (I hope that doesn't make me weirdly sadistic.) Your review has piqued my interest, and I'm going to put it at the top of my list. Do I have to read the series in chronological order?
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always like a good crime thriller novel and by the looks of it this one seems like an amazing story. The plot is so intriguing I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

This book sounds interesting. I love fast paced books as they immerse you in the novel. I think it will make a good read for me.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Thanks for the important details. While I like mysteries and crime novels, I prefer when more of the gory details are left to my imagination. I would likely have passed on this book, based on the title, now I am intrigued ...
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

I absolutely love murder mystery and thrillers. This review definitely has me wanting to read this book. It sounds intriguing and full of mystery. I love reading any book that pulls you in and makes you feel what the characters feel. Great review, I look forward to reading this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime thriller offering an unconventional point of view. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rebi
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rebi »

I guess I'll love this book, because l always love action and thrillers. And it's a good thing that the book is fast paced.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”