Review of A Raw Deal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of A Raw Deal

Post by Janet Kimetto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Raw Deal" by Shyam Dissa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's May 2009, Sathāsivam is summoned by Vēlupillai Pirabāharan, the supreme leader of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), and his right-hand man, Pottu Amman. The two leaders know that it's the end, at least for them, so they hand over the right to leadership of the LTTE to Sathāsivam. He is to go to Tamil Nādu, lie low for about a year after the final battle before rebuilding the movement, then strike when the time is right. The two leaders are ready to go down with the reassurance that their single dream, to achieve their independent state of Eelam, lives on. Hope springs eternal.

A few years later, Jagath Fonsēka, Superintendent of Police of the CID, is investigating the disappearance of Charlie Peng, a spy who has a great cover. Peng has been reported missing by the Chinese embassy. This investigation leads Fonsēka and his team into the discovery of an extensive web laid down by Sathāsivam. The LTTE is back, maybe stronger than before; its groundwork perfectly laid, with training camps scattered across Sri Lanka. Sathāsivam has a plan that he is sure will work - attack the Perahera (an annual religious festival in veneration of the Tooth Relic of the Buddha), and at the same time steal the Daladā (the Tooth Relic of the Buddha), the outcome of which will surely turn the tides in their favor.

The people believe that whoever possesses the sacred Relic has the divine right to rule over Sri Lanka. This is why it must never fall into the wrong hands. A Raw Deal: Cross-Border Terror by Shyam Dissa outlines the single-minded focus by the members of the LTTE to attain their goal by all means possible, along with Fonsēka's determination to stop them and the possibility of a war.

I liked many things about this book, the first being that both sides were equally presented. The writer did well to introduce the LTTE first - so the reader is not prejudiced right off the bat. The reader is able to empathize and see the story in grey, yet still maintain that the end doesn't always justify the means.

The characters are well developed. Fonsēka's investigative skills are such that he is the best there is, but not too perfect to be believable. He made mistakes, one of which was so fatal that for a moment, I felt such remorse that he did. But just like it's been said, it's the imperfect scenes that wouldn't leave your mind alone. That, and the delightful lessons I got about Sri Lanka. The city of Kandy, where the temple of the sacred Tooth Relic is located, sounds like such a rich place to visit. Especially during the month of the Perahera.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book, although I was surprised that Fonsēka and his partner, Upul, had it easy breaking and entering. I expected that a billionaire, one with something big to hide, would surely up their security measures to insane levels, but what do I know? At first, I thought I'd have a problem with the names, but I didn't. The writer took care not to introduce too many characters at once, especially not those essential to the story. The ending was satisfying. Shyam Dissa wrapped everything up perfectly.

I rate A Raw Deal: Cross-Border Terror 3 out of 4 stars. I encountered more than ten errors, hence the reason for not giving it a perfect rating. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading crime stories - and to those who would welcome history lessons. This book will leave you feeling smarter. And it isn't without its softer parts, because like with Fonsēka - love will always save us, time after time.

A Raw Deal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a thrilling way to get a bit of a history lesson. I would love to know more about Sri Lanka.
Thank you for interesting review and recommendation! :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I book worth reading, for sure! I would love to look deeper into the history of Sri Lanka :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The plot of this story sounds very exciting! I wonder what secret that billionaire is hiding and what happens when its no longer a secret anymore. Great review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for this amazing introduction! It seems like a great read even if the names of the characters are quite a challenge.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I know very little about Sri Lanka's history, so I think I would enjoy reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

kirthana_shivakumar wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 01:22 This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Do give it a try. Thank you for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

MsH2k wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 17:59 This sounds like a thrilling way to get a bit of a history lesson. I would love to know more about Sri Lanka.
Thank you for interesting review and recommendation! :greetings-waveyellow:
Hi! This book offers much to learn about Sri Lanka, for sure, so I hope you get the chance to read it. Thank you for stopping by, MsH2k! I appreciate your support.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Ellylion wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 09:29 I book worth reading, for sure! I would love to look deeper into the history of Sri Lanka :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
I hope you do. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 09:31 The plot of this story sounds very exciting! I wonder what secret that billionaire is hiding and what happens when its no longer a secret anymore. Great review! :D
Yes it is, you have to read to find out more. Thank you for reading my review and leaving a comment!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 10:06 Thank you for this amazing introduction! It seems like a great read even if the names of the characters are quite a challenge.
It sure is a great read. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Prisallen wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 11:23 I know very little about Sri Lanka's history, so I think I would enjoy reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
You would, I hope you get the chance to read it. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

What a plot! Seems really intriguing. However, I’m not so big on historical fiction. You have done justice to this review anyways. Good job!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Amynwankwo_ wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 03:15 What a plot! Seems really intriguing. However, I’m not so big on historical fiction. You have done justice to this review anyways. Good job!
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”