Review of Mystical Heights

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Mystical Heights

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystical Heights" by Jourdan Binger.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young vampire named Solaris finds herself in Jensen's home. She is in Jensen's body, and Jensen is missing. Solaris does not know what to do, so she tells Jensen's mother, Nana, who wants to find out what happened and find her son. Raymond wants to know what happened to his daughter, and Solaris convinces him that she is in Jensen's body by telling him that she was the one who turned him into a vampire. The two families decide they will have to work together if they are going to find Jensen and turn the two bodies back, which has to happen before the next full moon in two days. Nana tells them that her sister, Madam Moone, can help them. Can the vampires and werewolves work together to save their children? Can they find Jensen and switch him and Solaris back into their own bodies before the next full moon?

There are a couple of positive aspects to the book Mystical Heights by Jourdan Binger. Jourdan Binger did a good job describing the elves, fairies, witches, warlords, werewolves, vampires, and the floating princess castle with Justin Bieber posters on the walls. The chapter headings are humorous. For example, "What big teeth I have" and "Operation Rescue Jensen before he has to wear a thong."

The negative aspects are many. The plot does not flow smoothly, and there are inconsistencies. For example, in one part, Madam Moone's husband was killed by a vampire, and next, he was killed by werewolves. The ending left me with a lot of questions. The biggest disappointment is that a professional editor has not edited this book. The book is full of errors consisting of misused words (were instead of we're, your instead of you're, will instead of well, sweet instead of suite, to name a few), capitalized words in the middle of sentences, names in lowercase, double punctuation, and wrong verb tenses. I had to re-read many of the sentences to make sense out of them.

I have no choice but to give this book 1 out of 4 stars. There are too many errors, the plot is inconsistent, and very little I enjoyed about the book. This rating saddens me because this could be a good science-fiction/fantasy story with some work. I hope the author will re-write this book and have a professional editor edit it.

I cannot recommend this book to anyone because of the negative aspects. If the negative aspects do not bother you, you need to be aware that there is non-borderline profanity throughout the book, graphic sexual content, and one mention of incest in this book.

Mystical Heights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

The book title was really catchy. It's such a shame that this book couldn't make it to the top. Thanks for your honesty @Bertha Jackson
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

It is so saddening, seeing a great book with so much potential flop because of an editing issue. The review of this book promises a story with a rich background and with the mention of humorous chapter titles like, "operation save Jensen before he has to wear a thong", I certainly want to test my patience with this one. Thank you, for the review.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I clicked on this review because I was curious why you would give this book only 1 out of 4 stars. The overall storyline sounds really good, and I appreciate that you pointed out the good and bad aspects instead of only focusing on the negative parts. By the end of the review, I understood why you gave this book such a low ranking, but I hope that the author takes the time to flesh out the plot and to correct the grammatical errors. This could be a very good story. Thanks for the insightful review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I was attracted to the book by it's title and cover but after going through the review I don't know what to say. Thanks for the honest work.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This looks like the first draft of a book rather than a finished work. Reading the plot, I agree it's a shame, so I hope the author does proper editing to really develop the novel's potential. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is a pure of fantasy that involves a good number of mystical creatures. I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”