Review of The Memoir of a Schizophrenic Revised Version

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Review of The Memoir of a Schizophrenic Revised Version

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Memoir of a Schizophrenic Revised Version" by Karl Lorenz Willett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Memoir Of A Schizophrenic by Karl Lorenz Willett is a non-fictional autobiography. Schizophrenia is a disorder that affects a person's ability to think, feel, and behave appropriately. It is characterized by thoughts or experiences that seem out of place with reality, disorganized speech or behavior, and decreased participation in daily activities.

This book starts with Karl reliving memories from his birth to his adulthood. He studied at Davis Village Infant School. He got married to Euphemia, a woman who loved him. He wrote about his health as a schizophrenic patient, his mental battles, and his suicidal thoughts.

As the story progresses, Karl goes through many life challenges. He couldn’t get a stable and paying job because his family was in debt. He also went through many psychotic episodes, which made him want to end his life. How did he survive with his family in the face of these great trials? How was he able to cope with his health and mental battles? How was he able to fend for his wife and children? I encourage you to get a copy of this book to find out.

This book has a lot of positive aspects. I found the language of this book relatively easy to understand. This book educated me on schizophrenia and psychosis; it also educated me on their side effects. I never knew about these things until I read this book. I didn’t even know these things existed. I also learned a few words like promenade, morbid, schizophrenia, dole, buoy, etc. I like how the author explained what schizophrenia and psychosis meant and their side effects at the end of this book. I like the way love was portrayed in this book. This can be seen when Euphemia decided to marry Karl even after learning about his mental health and still choosing to stay after he survived attempted suicide, which he tried more than once. She didn’t see him as a burden. This book is emotionally rich; I felt connected with the author while I read this book. I was able to understand why he did certain things in this book.

This book has only one negative aspect. I wouldn’t say I liked the fact that this book is voluminous. However, considering that it is an autobiography, it is expected to be longer. Despite this negative aspect, I still enjoyed this book. I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would.

I found minimal errors in this book. This shows that it was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because despite the negative aspect I mentioned above, I still enjoyed this book.

I recommend this book to lovers of autobiographies and memoirs.

The Memoir of a Schizophrenic Revised Version
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

This should have so much enlightenment on the Schizophrenia disease in stuck for the reader. I'll check it out.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be an insightful book on schizophrenia. I'm curious to know how Karl pulled it off. Thank you for this review.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The book sounds really rich and inspiring. Thanks for the nice review.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

This review has got me interested and I would love to read this book and know more about this disorder. Thank you for sharing your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”