Review of The Sound Between the Notes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of The Sound Between the Notes

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sound Between the Notes" by Barbara Linn Probst.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a fifteen-year hiatus, Susannah Lewis gets an opportunity to audition for a concert. She put her music on hold in order to raise her son, but it's her turn now. However, a genetic disease may interfere with her plans. Being adopted, she's forced to remember a past she would like to forget. Will her family support her newfound desire to bring her music to the forefront of her life? Will her health cooperate with her desires?

The Sound Between the Notes by Barbara Linn Probst is a novel classified as other fiction. Having around 325 pages, it's a drama packed with feeling. There is some adult language; however, there is no erotic content, making the book appropriate for teenagers and adults.

Going in, I was unsure about the plot. It wasn't particularly compelling, and I knew it would take spectacular characters to pull it off. Fortunately, the author does not disappoint. I was drawn in from the first page.

The story is told from Susannah's perspective. This is, for all intents and purposes, her journey, her story. She is a strong woman, but she's molded by her adoption. It colors her life, causing her many questions. I really felt I knew her by the end of the book.

In fact, all the characters are realistic. They are all flawed and have their own motives. Susannah finally wants to take control of her destiny, make her own decisions. Aaron is used to being in charge. This creates friction between the two that is palpable. James, their son, is an angsty teen. He's trying to find his way, insecure about this new side of his mother. All three are trying to find their way, and the tension mounts leaving the reader longing for resolution.

The book does include some musical terms and composers that may not be familiar to all. Ms. Probst does generally explain the terms, and a knowledge of music is unnecessary to understand the story. While I feel this contributed to the artistic nature of the book, others may find this off-putting.

There was nothing about this book I disliked. Therefore, I rate The Sound Between the Notes 4 out of 4 stars. It was a book that you can't put down. It's a book that you'll turn off the TV or stay up late to finish. I recommend it to any fans of dramatic stories, those who love good characters with tension-filled relationships. It includes discussion questions at the end, so it would work well for a book club. This is an author to put on your "must watch" list.

The Sound Between the Notes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I've never really explored a book which has some kind of a musical background or terms, yet I'm excited to grab this one. Let's go! Great review, thanks!^^
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 13:00 I've never really explored a book which has some kind of a musical background or terms, yet I'm excited to grab this one. Let's go! Great review, thanks!^^
I have a musical degree, so I loved it. However, it's a great book with wonderful characters. I highly recommend it!
—Neil Gaiman
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

First written work I've seen that has music as it's live wire, very nice review...
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Catchy cover. Thank you for your review
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Apple 7 wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 23:55 First written work I've seen that has music as it's live wire, very nice review...
It was an enjoyable book. This is actually the second book I've read on here with music as a central theme. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

meiafidaa_7 wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 07:36 Catchy cover. Thank you for your review
No matter what they say, a good cover is important. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Chalce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Chalce »

I like the sound of this book—the musical element and the characters. Susannah reminds me of an AGT performer I admire.
Lovely review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a fascinating and emotional read. I like all the aspects you've mentioned and would love to learn about some interesting composers :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chalce wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 20:52 I like the sound of this book—the musical element and the characters. Susannah reminds me of an AGT performer I admire.
Lovely review.
Thank you. I enjoyed reading the book. Susannah was a great character. I enjoyed learning about her.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 07:28 Sounds like a fascinating and emotional read. I like all the aspects you've mentioned and would love to learn about some interesting composers :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
It's a very interesting read. Next, the author should create a soundtrack of the music to read by. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Susannah’a story seems pretty inspiring. I might read this book if I get an opportunity to. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Oh my, this sounds like a book for me! I was immediately drawn to this when I saw the title. Music, family drama, amazing characters and the tension between them. I can even relate to putting music on hold because of the family…

Thank you for introducing this book, I think I have to take the time to read this.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 08:40 Susannah’a story seems pretty inspiring. I might read this book if I get an opportunity to. Thanks for your wonderful review!
I hope you do. It was intense. Dramatic.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 06:57 Oh my, this sounds like a book for me! I was immediately drawn to this when I saw the title. Music, family drama, amazing characters and the tension between them. I can even relate to putting music on hold because of the family…

Thank you for introducing this book, I think I have to take the time to read this.
It sounds like this will be the perfect book for you! I very much enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”