Review of What, Why, & How?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of What, Why, & How?

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What, Why, & How?" by Robert Wheeler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has their personal beliefs about life. Yet, for many, the most important questions remain unanswered. One of these is why are we here? Many other questions are addressed in What, Why, & How?: Bottom-up Answers by Robert Wheeler.

This 113-paged book contains the author's deep knowledge and experiences as a research psychologist. The book begins with an explanation of why we sometimes fail to ponder on the important questions of life. It goes on to analyze why it is beneficial to do so. It explains how past generations have endeavored to provide answers to these deep questions, and it also examines the involvement of faith and religion. The author did not fail to discuss the quantum theory and its relationship to future scientific discoveries. It also provides a detailed analysis of different positions on the issue of evolution and creation.

This book draws heavily on research from numerous, relevant books. Robert's experience as a research psychologist stands out in this aspect. The sources of information found in the book appear in brackets throughout the book.

I would describe this book as balanced and reliable. In answering the deep question of what, why, and how of human existence, the author consistently makes it clear that he is not dogmatic. Words such as may, could, probably, and other similar words are found throughout the book. This is my most favorite feature of the book.

I also love the fact that the author was able to explain complex topics in understandable language. A sizable part of the book focuses on different aspects of philosophy and belief systems, which includes nognosticism, ontology, ecumenical humanism, pragmatic pluralism, and others.

As would be expected of a book explaining a complex topic, I find some parts of the book too technical and detailed. A quote from page 62 said, "We need naturalism to explain proximate local cause and we need supernaturalism to explain distal ultimate cause." I had to work out the meaning on my own. This is my only dislike about this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited and highly informative. The author has done much research to put this book together. It pulls information from modern-day sources as well as historical sources. While this book contains Bible quotations, it does not appear to be religiously biased. Readers who have an interest in psychology, philosophy, and the questions of life will find this book informative.

What, Why, & How?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book that addresses the three important questions. Would definitely love to have this in my library.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This book touches on important matters. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Sometimes this very questions seem impossible to crack. I hope the author did his due diligence. Thank you for such an on-point review, kike17!
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

The title itself is attractive to me. Applause to the author to have a deeper understanding about the questions that arise and explaining his thoughts to the world through this book. I would like to give a try in the near future
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Sounds interesting. Thank you for the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”