Review of When We Were Boys, Book I

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of When We Were Boys, Book I

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When We Were Boys, Book I" by Michael B. Blacc.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What we have been through shapes our relationships with other people. This statement is true for Joaquin Parker. Years of violence and sexual abuse affect his relationship with his beloved friend, Kamar. Is it just a phase like every other relationship, or will it be their end?

Michael B. Blacc tells the true-life story of his experience and that of his beloved friend and partner, T. N. M. Both were featured in the book as Kamar Washington and Joaquin Parker, respectively. This book exposes the evil of pedophilia and violent sexual abuse.

The thought of this book being a true-life story puts pity, shock, and anger into my body. The perfect description of violence is given in the first few pages of the book, and I can't help but picture what victims go through at the hands of rapists. Michael B. Blacc paints this picture excellently.

I couldn't help but notice that the identity of the rapist was introduced in chapter three. Before then, he is referred to as a "monster" and given many curse names, giving me the impression that this must be some horrible person (probably the kind that would kidnap children for sexual pleasure). Readers would know the depth of pain he inflicted to be described in such a manner. I'd give credit to the author for showing this personality without dragging the reader through rigorous explanations.

I'm impressed with the picture Michael B. Blacc paints about pastors that castigate the LGBTQ community and the message he tries to pass with that. From the book, it is clear that Michael is asking for a world devoid of hate on the community. He believes that members of the LGBTQ community are humans too and need encouraging words like every other person from the church when need be.

Michael B. Blacc seems to leave out important details and leave us hanging without any explanation of the sort. We are made to understand that a man keeps staring at Kamar from the primarily white party and the lunch. The book ends, and we don't know who he is. I want to believe there will be a resolution for this character in the next book. Other than this minor issue, everything about When We Were Boys, Book 1 is excellent.

The content of the book seems to hold water, and the editing is okay. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to supporters of the LGBTQ community and persons interested in a better understanding of the effects of sexual abuse despite their stand on LGBTQ.

When We Were Boys, Book I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I think the author was very brave in writing this book in the first place. It is courage like this that will help to debunk some of the wrong perceptions that people have of the LGBTQ community. Your review was very well balanced and will hopefully encourage more people to read the book in order to get a better understanding of people who are often judged by stereotypical thinking. Great review!
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I am opportune to read two different stories in one book which has to do with sexual abuse that affected Parker and his relationship with his friends. I would like to get first-hand information on what happened. Thanks for your review.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

This book seems like it will not be the best fit for me at the moment. However, you have an amazing review and anyone interested on LGBT rights would enjoy it.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

This handles so many important topics and as someone who has been through abuse, I am thankful to anyone who shares their experience. Thank you for your review!
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

The issue of LGBTQ is a very sensitive one indeed. Child molestation also needs to be addressed more and sustainable measures be put in place. Thank you for your review, Sam Ibeh 👍
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Am I the only one that smiled when I read the name of this book,sexual abuse is an ever lasting trauma that needs to be tackled,thanks for this wonderful review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Wow. A true life story. It really shocking to know. I'll definitely make this pick. Kudos.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”