Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comfortable)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Revina Estrada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revina-estrada.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Re: Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comforta

Post by Revina Estrada »

Yes, I wish I knew about the medical handbook before especially during this time. It would have been a great help during the time my grandfather suffered from his illness. Still, I'm glad I discovered it because It would be a big help in future emergencies.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I do wish I had read this book earlier. I was in a supermarket once and this guy was choking in front of me and I was clueless as to how to help him. He ended up falling to the ground and all I could do was cry out for help
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

Suekihleng wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:01 Yes, absolutely wish I had this book on hand before! I moved to a remote tropical island a little over 20 years ago and we have faced medical emergencies countless times over the years. Our biggest issue was when our infant daughter stopped breathing. Thankfully we were able to get her medical attention in time but I always wondered what I could have done differently to prevent some of the lasting damage that took place. But there have been so many other instances as well - an elderly man having a heart attack and I was the only person available to help him, a man chopping his foot nearly off with a machete while cleaning coconut trees in my yard, my husband having a severe head injury when falling off the roof, a close friend falling from a coconut tree and shattering his legs, just to name a few. Fortunately in each of these instances, no deaths occurred. But it's always a good idea to be prepared. I've had to learn that the hard way.
Oh wow! I can image how useful this book would be in your situation. Not everyone lives in an area where emergency care is readily available. Sometimes even in the most populated areas it can be difficult to get care in time due to traffic or other extenuating circumstances. Having a book like this could be a potential lifesaver.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Reading such a book helps you change your lifestyle for the better, as it helps you maintain your health by following a balanced and healthy diet and pushes you to exercise. It also helps you preserve the lives of others when you take the correct medical measures in the event of a sudden problem.
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

This kind of book gives us a clarity of knowledge on medical science. At the start of covid-19 when all the hospitals were overwhelmed with covid patients, many regular patients could not get seats in the hospital ward. This handbook would have been very useful in helping those patients from my family and friends in need of immediate help. I wish I had this book with me at that desperate time.
Dr Chocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-chocha.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Dr Chocha »

Let me hit the notch right away and respond to your question,
Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before?
Yes, I wish I had. I remember how had it was to deal with the symptoms of high blood pressure each time mum experienced them. But the story could have been different if I had this handbook.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I don't think this book would have made a difference in my personal experiences, so no, I don't wish I had read this before. However, it contained enough information to be useful to somebody else. I really think in some cases this book could save a life.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Yes, I wish I had read this book before. I was in a car accident in 2018. My sister was with me in the taxi and after the crash, when I looked around, I saw she was unconscious. I prayed so hard "please be okay". At that moment I wished I knew what to do. We were both taken to a hospital and were discharged a week later. We were both safe, but the fear I felt seeing her unconscious and the desperation to do something to help still stays within me.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

We all know the implications of bad diet and lack of exercise on ones health, but after reading this book, you kind of get a clearer and more enlightened perspective on the matter. I certainly wish I had stumbled on the book a decade earlier. I'm vegetarian now and feel healthier than I have been before but I could've made that diet choice a lot earlier in my life had I read this book then.
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

I already recommended this book to my friends and family. Especially the ones who live in remote places a little away for immediate medical help. So it was this much of an important book for me.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where I've needed medical knowledge, so I don't wish I had read it earlier. However, I like to learn about medicine and basic things just in case. I liked the book.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Thankfully no near-death experiences yet, but as an archaeologist who spends 40+ hours a week in the backwoods this book is indispensable. I commonly run across venomous snakes during the summer and have been repeatedly stung by yellowjackets, so Ch. 8 was extra helpful information for me. And since we're usually over an hour away from any ERs or hospitals, most of this information is helpful to have on hand just in case.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

Yes! I have no medical background, nor any close relative that works in the medical environment. So I have trouble even when making a bandage. Also, there was a time when a familiar would have an accident very frequently. Once, she fell through the stairs and couldn't get up. I was fearing a fracture somewhere, but I didn't know how to check without hurting her or even how to help her up to go to the hospital. We were alone and I was very scared and frustrated that I didn't know what to do. Eventually, all went well, but it is important to know at least the first aid procedures.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

After reading all the replies I must say that maybe such a book can be taught in schools to better prepare all of us for medical emergencies. I'm glad I've never really faced a situation that required me to apply some of the things I read in the book, and I guess in that way I've read it as early as possible and will most definitely come in handy one day.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 10:15
Orion in the Rye wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 11:59 Last year a neighbor while carrying a box suffered a heart attack. It happened in front of my house. I always wondered if I could have done something. In the section "Heart Attack" (Myocardial Infarction) the author explains: "providing CPR to a
heart attack victim who cannot be defibrillated within 4 minutes is a lost cause". I live very far from the hospital, perhaps it would have been useless to apply CPR, but I would have read the book before and tried to do something.
The odds are definitely against someone who has to have CPR and defibrillation longer than four minutes, but I have to disagree with the author on it being 'a lost cause!' I have had two relatives, my step-father and a brother-in-law who both have undergone CPR for over 20 minutes, and both survived without any adverse effects! It is highly unusual for that to happen, but it is also possible, so regardless of the situation I would I begin CPR anyway after calling 911.
Thanks for sharing that. I agree with you, it's better to do CPR whilst you wait for medics than to give up after four minutes because you may never know how things will turn out.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”