Review of Sister Jane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review of Sister Jane

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sister Jane" by Irmgarde Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jane was a widow who lived with her cats. On the way to church, she witnessed a car hitting a cat. When Jane went to help the creature, it got up and walked away. When Jane arrived at church, she realized that her touch had healed the cut on her friend’s hand. This began the journey of her “gift” of being able to cure and heal. Many doubted this ability, but the testimonies of the healed were soon too numerous to refute. Lines of people began forming outside of Jane’s home to receive healing.

This type of power attracted many who thirsted for control. It didn’t take long for the mafia to appear. The US government was not far behind. How would Jane handle these heavy-handed groups that wanted to take control of her gift? Who could imagine someone suing Jane because they did not to be healed? Managing her talent turned out to be more complicated than Jane had ever imagined. All she wanted to do was to help people and use her gift wisely. Would she be able to do so?

I enjoyed the skillful development of the main character in this other fiction novel. In Sister Jane, Irmgarde Brown began by highlighting Jane’s life as a widow. She lived with her parakeets and her cats, tried to delay the day when she would have to go to a nursing home, and conversed with her deceased husband. She also had a spectacular sense of humor that had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. This strong emphasis on Jane’s joys and sorrows helps readers empathize with her during the remaining events in her life as she discovered and began using her gift.

The chapters alternated between the perspective of three characters: Jane, Nick, and Twomey. Each chapter title identified the person narrating the chapter and the timeline. This writing style was fascinating as each character narrated their perspective of the different events affecting their life and the life of the people who came to Jane for healing. Jane wanted to heal people. Nick, her ambitious son-in-law, wanted to make money from Jane’s healing ability. His active imagination saw dollar signs, as Jane’s fame would eventually fill stadiums with people begging to be touched by her healing hands. Twomey, a frustrated journalist, searched for a story to reclaim the fame and respect he had lost through unprofessional behavior and poor decisions. The triple perspective enhanced the story and highlighted the author’s ability to interpret each situation from multiple angles.

The timeline of the book follows the Christian season of Lent. The story commences on Ash Wednesday and concludes with Holy Week. Jane prays over the people who come to her for healing. The appearance of the resurrected cat seemed to indicate the genesis of Jane’s healing ability. The cat manifested the magical abilities to read people and situations and permitted Jane to have the power to heal. The reader can decide if Jane’s abilities were mystical or magical.

There were some minor grammar issues, such as missing commas and a few missing periods but no misspelled words. I did notice the frequent use of mild profanity, and even Jane bit her tongue at times! The text did not contain any erotic scenes.

I rate this book three out of four stars. The number of grammar errors obligated me to lower the score. This other fiction novel offers excellent character development, intriguing dialogues, and an unexpected and fascinating turn of events. This book would appeal to readers looking for themes of mystery, suspense, and the supernatural. Jane talks about her faith, but a wide range of readers could immerse themselves in her amazing adventure. I would immensely enjoy a sequel to Jane’s story!

Sister Jane
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

"This other fiction novel offers excellent character development, intriguing dialogues, and an unexpected and fascinating turn of events. This book would appeal to readers looking for themes of mystery, suspense, and the supernatural."

The book seems to be my cup of tea. I'm glad I found your review.
Thank you.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Thanks for an interesting review. I think this is something I would like to read. I like the premise of the book and the idea of a struggle to control someone’s gift.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I would love to know how Jane handled the people after her gift. Your review is amazing. Great job!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I would love to read more about the catlady with healing powers. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I enjoyed reading your review. This seems a wonderful story. It's positive aspects outweighs its flaws for me, so I'll check this book out for sure. Thanks for the great review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I enjoyed reading the review. The character development is also a good one. Thanks for your review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Knowing and finding that everyone has a little supernatural power is a joyful experience as she was able to heal the cat that was hit by the car. Nice review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

Jane seems like a great character, I love how her life just moves from a regular one to one that's so facinating, full of people with all kinds of interests. Thank you for a great review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Jane must have been so overwhelmed when all those people showed up outside her home! Id love to see how her journey ends. Amazing review! :D
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Clare Jose wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 07:25 "This other fiction novel offers excellent character development, intriguing dialogues, and an unexpected and fascinating turn of events. This book would appeal to readers looking for themes of mystery, suspense, and the supernatural."

The book seems to be my cup of tea. I'm glad I found your review.
Thank you.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I fell in love with Jane. I am looking for other books by this author. Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

valeriejane wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 08:53 Thanks for an interesting review. I think this is something I would like to read. I like the premise of the book and the idea of a struggle to control someone’s gift.
The book has an intriguing story line that engages the reader in Jane's struggle. I hope you have a chance to read the book and enjoy the author's writing and imagination. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Nonso Ok wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 03:56 I would love to know how Jane handled the people after her gift. Your review is amazing. Great job!
Jane is an interesting character and the author was able to create unexpected situations for her and her gift. I hope you will read and enjoy her story also. Thanks for stopping by!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Niens Now wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 09:04 I would love to read more about the catlady with healing powers. Thanks for a great review.
The author does an amazing job of building Jane's personality. Even the cat has a distinctive character! I hope you will read about Jane, her gift, and her struggle to help others. Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 11:29 I enjoyed reading your review. This seems a wonderful story. It's positive aspects outweighs its flaws for me, so I'll check this book out for sure. Thanks for the great review.
Jane is an adorable character with unique dilemmas. I hope you enjoy reading about her adventure!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”