Review of I'm Just a Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of I'm Just a Girl

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Just a Girl" by D. S. England.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alexandra Moody (Alex) works as a bartender in Orlando. One day at work, her playlist on the bar's jukebox grabs the attention of an old man wearing a monk-like robe. His name is Morticah, and he suspects she is the one in the prophecies that would save the world from impending doom. He previously correctly predicted the computer virus that led to the economic meltdown the city suffered four years ago. What doom do the prophecies talk about? Who is plotting the devastating event? Is Alex the girl the prophecies talk about, or is she just a strange girl with a shitty taste in boyfriends? The answers to the previous questions and more are contained in the pages of I’m Just A Girl by D. S. England.

First, I appreciate the author's first-person narrative style. Because of this, I was able to connect with Alex, the lead protagonist, on a deeper level. The story was told through her eyes, and it was interesting to read her thoughts at several points in the story. I not only found Alex to be an interesting character, but I also found her thoughts humorous. Additionally, the pacing is just right for the story, and I found the origin of the title of the book creative. Alex always referred to herself as “just a girl,” despite several events that suggest that she’s much more.

I also liked that the author organized the story into a compelling plot that left me wondering what would happen next. Needless to say, the suspense level throughout the book was impressive. I read the book slowly and dreaded finishing it. I wasn’t confused at any point with the events as they unfolded. My mouth was left open when I read the ending parts of the book. I would not give away any spoilers, but I can say that readers would be shocked at what they’ll find.

One thing I didn’t quite enjoy about this novel is how the story kept deviating from the main plot. What I mean is that while Alex was narrating certain events, she often drifted into her thoughts. While these thoughts were refreshing to see at times, I found them distracting overall. I was also disappointed with the level of character depth for several other characters in the book that I felt played important roles. For example, I only saw Morticah through Alex's eyes. I was interested to know more about his life before he met Alex. Other characters like the president should have been more fleshed out.

Also, I felt like the stories of Alex's past relationships at the beginning of each chapter were unnecessary. Some people may argue that the stories contributed to Alex's character development, but I think the story didn’t need them. I say this because I already understood Alex without the extra information.

3 out of 4 stars is my rating for this novel. The one-star deduction is a result of the issues I discussed in the previous paragraphs. However, I enjoyed reading the book. Moreover, the publication is professionally edited since I found only a few errors. Readers interested in apocalyptic fiction stories would enjoy this read. This book contains a lot of major profane words, so sensitive readers may want to steer clear.

I'm Just a Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I have a lot of questions concerning this book and the plot. Think I should get a copy as soon as possible. I love the review. Thank you
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

Just a girl. I believe no body is JUST A PERSON. Everyone has a uniqueness and I think Alex has it too. Nothing sucks more that too much unnecessary information like Alex past been repeated.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The storyline is a wonderful one although the title paints a different picture of what the book seems like. Thanks for your review.
Cherry Mae F
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cherry Mae F »

I really like the story and we know everyone has a uniqueness and i think alex has it too. So i think i should get a copy as soon as possible

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”