Review of Fallout

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Fallout

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fallout" by Robert E. Marier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most businesses have experienced difficulties adjusting to the effects of COVID-19. Since the pandemic hit the world in the year 2020, most government authorities have imposed lockdowns. Some business operations, such as those that require in-person meetings, have also been regulated. Business owners, especially those who took mortgages, have recorded significant losses. While trying to cope with the effects of the pandemic, these business owners are looking for every possible way to sustain the operations and the profitability of their businesses. For this reason, criminals have come up with creative ways to exploit these upstanding citizens and ensure they involve them in criminal activities. Fallout by Robert E. Marier is a fictional book that narrates how criminals have used this pandemic to corrupt several business owners.

Sydney Snider had laid a perfect plan for his three sons. He had acquired three restaurants and was planning to give each son a restaurant to operate. If managed well, the restaurants would ensure adequate cash flow for his family. However, in 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic affected business operations. Since he had taken a mortgage loan and used it to purchase the third restaurant, he was afraid the returns from the three restaurants couldn't help with the mortgage payments. As if this wasn't enough, the doctor later diagnosed him with pancreatic cancer. Later that day, he meets Ed Hatton, a financial advisor. After narrating his problems to this stranger, they part ways. He later received a phone call from someone who introduced himself as Joe. The caller informed him of a criminal dealing that would make him earn $500000 in cash. What kind of dealing is this? Will he accept the offer?

This book has one hundred and twenty-five pages. It is divided into thirty-five chapters. The chapters are very short, some having as few as two pages. The story is narrated from the third person's point of view and in the past tense. Although crime is the major theme in this book, there are some other minor themes, such as friendship and betrayal, family relations, and conflicts.

I liked several things about this book. First, the author did well in developing the characters. They were so relatable. For instance, it was very hard to love or hate Sydney Snider. His dilemma was relatable and understandable. Second, reading this book felt like watching a movie. The vivid description of events and people made me get a clear picture of everything. Sometimes, I even felt like I was there, especially when the FBI agents were brainstorming and struggling to solve the cases. Third, this story has so many twists and turns. When I started reading it, I thought it was about the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects on various businesses. But then it escalated to an action-packed investigative novel. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors, this book was exceptionally edited.

There isn't anything I disliked about the book. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who like books about criminal investigations and mystery Solving. I can't think of any groups of people who won't enjoy reading it.

Fallout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

This book seems like an eye opener to all business owners on the schemes of criminal after the pandemic. Quite educational. Great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book about how criminals have employed the Pandemic for their schemes would be quite intriguing. Great review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A book on what pandemic and it's effects have had on the business world and the after effects on individuals...very relatable..nice
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Although it seems like a short read however, as a lover of books on criminal investigations I would like to read it.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I love it when authors are able to create that dilemma of whether to love or hate a character. It makes the reading experience so much more memorable.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

I admire the author's imagination. At first glance, I mistook the book for another nonfiction Covid 19 title. It appears to be a thriller based on the review. I'd like to know if Sydney Snider accepted the bribe. Could he be that low because of his debts? Mmh, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. This is a book I'll be reading. Great review
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title of this book is captivating and having to learn from the aftermath of this pandemic that shocked the world I will be picking this book. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel tells a story that's very realistic, as criminal organizations took advantage of the difficulties caused by the pandemic to a lot of activities. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The cover of this book intrigued me from the time I saw it. The novel deals with a very interesting concept. Since I work from home and don’t deal directly with the public it’s sometimes hard to appreciate COVID’s impact on others. I can see Mr. Snider’s dilemma, though.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”