Review of A Sundance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of A Sundance

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Sundance" by Robert Nissan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hot Springs from South Dakota seems like a quiet and charming town built around Sundance Park, a lovely place to visit. However, weird things start to happen. Some doctors are behaving strangely, and patients die as a result. People have horrible nightmares that destroy their lives. Trees, animals, and birds behave aggressively towards humans. People die in bizarre accidents. What can be the cause of all these occurrences?

Dr. Russ Nichols is a charismatic widower with excellent bedside manners, whose life revolves around Ryan, his 3-year-old son. He meets Evelyn Spearing, an attractive redhead with many secrets, and love blossoms. Russ is convinced that the contamination of the water source might explain some strange events, while Evelyn thinks there is another mystical cause. The answer lies in the past, in 1860, where three young redheaded women were burned in Sundance Park after being accused of witchcraft. Evelyn joins forces with Samuel Lone Eagle, a Wicasa Wakan, a wise Indian gifted with visions. Ryan also has a crucial part to play. Read the book to discover who will win the final confrontation!

I loved the way the author created an original mix of science and the supernatural. There is a mystical source of evil, but the mistakes made by men allowed it to emerge and grow. Not to mention John Gentle Wolf (Samuel Lone Eagle’s nephew), who is a future Wicasa Wakan and also a doctor. Moreover, Robert Nissan provided an important lesson: people can resist evil if they have a strong will. So hold on to your beautiful soul because nobody can take it away by force.

The writing style, however, could be improved. The author tried to build suspense and create a chilling atmosphere, but I didn’t feel it. People passionate about horror books might find this quite mellow. However, that can become an advantage for readers looking for a light read. If you love books that include supernatural elements, witches, and evil spirits, then you should give the novel a try. Environmentalists will also find some relevant ideas that will support their lobby. Romance fans will be pleased to discover that you can find your soulmate even when everything falls apart around you. Readers that love mysteries will be thrilled to engage in a detective hunt to discover the source of the evil.

After careful consideration, I give A Sundance by Robert Nissan a rating of 3 out of 4 stars due to the writing style that left me a little disappointed. The novel is professionally edited since I only came across a few errors that didn’t spoil my reading experience.

A Sundance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A plot that focuses on finding answers to strange mysteries, quite intriguing! Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Ekezie1998 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 02:19 A plot that focuses on finding answers to strange mysteries, quite intriguing! Great review.
I hope you will enjoy the hunt! Thank you for your comment.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I can never resist a good horror book but add romance into the mix and I'm definitely sold! Lovely review! :D
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this book has a lot going for it, like fantasy, romance, and mystery. It's too bad that it wasn't quite as thrilling as it could have been. Thanks for an excellent review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 08:24 I can never resist a good horror book but add romance into the mix and I'm definitely sold! Lovely review! :D
Sold to the lady in blue! :) Thank you so much for sharing your feedback.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Prisallen wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 08:26 It sounds like this book has a lot going for it, like fantasy, romance, and mystery. It's too bad that it wasn't quite as thrilling as it could have been. Thanks for an excellent review!
I guess it depends on the reader. Maybe someone else will appreciate it better. Thank you for commenting!
Shelbs23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shelbs23 »

Crazy enough sounds true to this day and age! Definitely caught my eye and held onto my attention. 4 out of 4 stars! Well written. I’m intrigued to hopefully read more!
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

It sounds like I would enjoy this book. It has several elements that make for a good mystery. However, I am not sure what you mean by writing style was lacking. I am on the fence if I should give this book a try.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'm actually intrigued by the events that took place in 1860. Why and how are they contributing to the current occurrences in Sundance Park? Awesome review Raluca
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Shelbs23 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 12:09 Crazy enough sounds true to this day and age! Definitely caught my eye and held onto my attention. 4 out of 4 stars! Well written. I’m intrigued to hopefully read more!
I am glad to hear that. Happy reading!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

valeriejane wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 13:37 It sounds like I would enjoy this book. It has several elements that make for a good mystery. However, I am not sure what you mean by writing style was lacking. I am on the fence if I should give this book a try.
I encourage you to read it for yourself and see if it suits you. Maybe you will like it even more. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Nqobile771 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 14:17 I'm actually intrigued by the events that took place in 1860. Why and how are they contributing to the current occurrences in Sundance Park? Awesome review Raluca
This is the key to the mystery, so I hope you will discover them for yourself :). Thank you for stopping by!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Strange events, terrible nightmares, and aggressive behaviors would definitely keep this plot moving along, and since I often enjoy books with supernatural elements, I think I might give this one a try! Thank you for your insightful review. 🎇
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Unexplained mysteries, varying circumstances and necessary action..quite intriguing...nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”