Review of 3 P's for Potty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of 3 P's for Potty

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "3 P's for Potty" by Rachael Tarfman-Perez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Potty training can be demanding and tasking for both parent and child. Therefore, turning it into a comical experience can make it a semi-enjoyable milestone. The author and illustrator, Rachael Tarfman-Perez, attempts to lighten that load in her book, 3 P's for Potty.

The story is about a mother teaching her little girl, Gia, about what belongs in the potty. Little Gia wants to figure it out by herself, without her mom's help. Now, the hunt begins for flushable versus non-flushable items. Can petunias go into the potty? Understandably, Gia's mother gets exhausted by the wrong answers.

This 30-page book contains vocabulary perfect for an easy-reader level. The plot is straight to the point and humorous. It is wonderfully set up for the intended audience to engage in role-playing or take turns to read-aloud. This type of participation is an important positive aspect. It brings positive reinforcement to a difficult task.

Nonetheless, my favorite part was the humor in Gia’s guess. I can’t imagine the answers children readers will think up. Also, the author’s directness in addressing the topic was refreshing (no pun intended here). It doesn’t matter how icky potty training can be.

The illustrations are full-page with the text on the opposite page. I liked the characters’ purple hair and eyebrows—it gave them a stylish look. Also, Gia’s body position is interesting and reminds me of Egyptian hieroglyphic art. Some texture is added to the images, such as the scrubby carpet. As a bonus, there is a coloring page of the main character, Gia, at the end of the book.

Sadly, this book is not without its limitations. Unfortunately, Gia only had three guesses which made the plot very brief. Her muses were funny enough to excite me for more; but, it did not happen. Another issue is the repeated use of an illustration; specifically, the image showing Gia running in the bathroom. In all fairness, this is a potty-training book.

Though the bold font was not my favorite aspect, anyone with difficulty reading small prints may appreciate it. As a note, I did not count it as a negative—it is simply a personal observation.

As a result, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book could benefit from another round of proofreading; the dialogue tags were awkward but workable. On the other hand, Tarfman-Perez created a lovable character, Gia. Her enthusiasm to learn about the potty made me chuckle; though, I wished for a lengthier story.

I recommend this story to caregivers who are potty training toddlers. I also recommend it as an education tool about which items not to put into the toilet.

3 P's for Potty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This book indeed does sound humorous! Little Gia's want to put flowers in the toilet would get a laugh out of me for sure! Nicely done review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a lovely and instructive book. Actually, it might be helpful for some adults, that throw a lot of things in the potty that don't belong there :). Nice work!
Josepina Ibarbo
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Josepina Ibarbo »

A ver strong and useful book for any Momma, Daddy, Grandma, Grandpop, & anyone willing to take the time to use this has a helpful tool.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Your review made this book sound very captivating and interesting to me. I can't wait to lay my hands on it. Thanks for your amazing review.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

This book seems like it would be great for children. I would love to read this with my child. Gia seems like quite the child character. Thank you for this amazing review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

This book is of course funny and also interactive. I love that includes a coloring page as well. Really creative.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

My son use to flush all his toys down the toilet. I could have used this book when he was little. It sounds like a cute story.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Young readers will be at home with the text as it is colorful thus will retain the readers' attention for long.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Tablito wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 03:46 Young readers will be at home with the text as it is colorful thus will retain the readers' attention for long.
Thank you for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 13:49 My son use to flush all his toys down the toilet. I could have used this book when he was little. It sounds like a cute story.
:D Yes, then I think this book might have helped too. Thank you for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Pearl Thomas wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 09:25 This book is of course funny and also interactive. I love that includes a coloring page as well. Really creative.
The coloring page was indeed a clever idea. THanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Omega_01 wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 01:22 Your review made this book sound very captivating and interesting to me. I can't wait to lay my hands on it. Thanks for your amazing review.
I'm glad you feel encouraged and thank you for reading it and your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Omega_01 wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 01:22 Your review made this book sound very captivating and interesting to me. I can't wait to lay my hands on it. Thanks for your amazing review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Josepina Ibarbo wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 20:40 A ver strong and useful book for any Momma, Daddy, Grandma, Grandpop, & anyone willing to take the time to use this has a helpful tool.
I totally agree with you. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”