Review of Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature

Post by Pearl Thomas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature" by Chet Shupe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness by Chet Shupe is a non-fiction book that talks about the self-imposed institutional subjugation of the people, by the people, for the people. What supposedly brings order and meaning to our lives becomes the very cause of human suffering. A book venturing out to the depths of civilization, human suffering, and the meaning of life.

Interestingly, I stumbled upon this fabulous read, just when I was myself questioning the validity of the social order which we use as a stencil to build our life and give meaning to it. Do we really need a life so institutionalized that freedom means to drag ourselves through a dead-end desk job, to build boundaries for love, to waste away your breaths for a comfortable future that is uncertain anyway? This book is more than just a philosophical take on civilization, it is a revolution to bring us back to our natural roots; to live our lives today and not tomorrow.

One of the best things about this book is the simplicity of the language used. It is conversational and doesn’t feel like reading a complex philosophical book. The author talks to the masses directly and puts forth his opinions without much drag. Including bits of personal stories, the author makes it relatable for the readers to subjectively understand his message.

In many instances the author refers to biblical stories and adapts them to his philosophical view of civilization, giving it a rather different meaning or using the stories as metaphors. I personally found it interesting to read about the author’s take on why Christ went through crucifixion. Growing up as a Christian, we’re taught that it was because of our sins that Christ was crucified. But it was always something that left me confused, and the author’s thoughts on this were quite reasonable in my opinion. While this seemed like a positive aspect to me, might be a downside for readers sensitive about being exposed to different interpretations of the Bible. Having this said, the book does not exceed in basing the author’s thoughts on the Bible only. Instead, the author has artistically blended several different aspects of life, to bring the readers an interesting compilation on topics ranging from emotional intelligence, sisterhood, brotherhood, and the law of nature, heavily influenced by the philosophy of Altruism and Codependency.

The book is almost perfectly edited, I couldn’t find any errors. I also do not have any criticism on this book except that that there is one core message that is being repeated throughout the chapters, which is actually a positive thing for me; the author is screaming out to reach the masses. This book deserved a perfect 4 out 4 stars. This book will be an interesting read for a mature audience, who are open to new world-views and like books that challenge their beliefs.

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I enjoy books that philosophize on the meaning of life. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I would love to read this. The premise of the book sounds great and I'm pleased to know it has simple language. Thanks for the great review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I always enjoy when a author puts their personal accounts into their books. Lovely review! :D
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I have read this book before. And the unique differentiation of the natural and the civilized human nature amazed me. Great review!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This seems like a book for the open-minded. The author's thoughts on civilization seems debatable. I enjoyed reading your review.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Hm! This one is thought-provoking. I will love to read the author's opinion on the topic. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Pearl Thomas wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 08:44 Interestingly, I stumbled upon this fabulous read, just when I was myself questioning the validity of the social order which we use as a stencil to build our life and give meaning to it.
It sounds like you stumbled upon this read at an opportune time!
Thank you for your thorough review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The author seems to be offering a new philosophical approach to life. Considering our current events, it's no wonder. I like new takes on old ideas. Thanks for your great review.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm always fascinated by social commentary and societal reform. This book seems to combine these elements with philosophy and theology. So, I think that is interesting. I also like the fact that the author offers a different perspective on the Christian belief system.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”