Review of Guardians of Justice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Guardians of Justice

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guardians of Justice" by Patrick Riddle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a local farmer finds the sheriff's niece brutally raped and murdered, all evidence points to the guilt of one man: Eddie Reno. But Reno refuses to speak. The conniving criminal has plans to walk away from the murder charge scot-free but won't enlighten his attorney with the details of his alibi.

Michael Hunter is a talented defense attorney who loves a good puzzle, but Reno's cryptic plotting and antagonistic attitude have lured Hunter into a dangerous game of cat and mouse. As Mike tries to figure out Reno's plans, he finds his friends, family, and future career in jeopardy. Justice must be served, but how far is Hunter willing to go, and what price will he ultimately be willing to pay?

Guardians of Justice is an exciting legal drama by Patrick Riddle. I loved how this novel felt like binge-watching the first season of a new criminal justice series on TV. Riddle brought to life the chaotic atmosphere of working in a law firm through the banter between the veteran and newly hired attorneys. He also depicted the rivalries within the ranks, the secret affairs within the court system, and the behind-the-scenes research required to win cases. I enjoyed watching the newly hired Sybil Waxman and Joe Larsen struggle to find their rhythms as they floundered through their first trials. I also loved the rich details depicting Michael's early work, family history, and work ethic.

Riddle educated me with important information about court rulings and legislation. As he walked me through the trials featured in the novel, I learned the slang and terminology used within the courtroom. I was also impressed with the author's ability to make me adore some characters while completely despising others. As I followed these characters through their cases and office interactions, I was fascinated with the connections made throughout Mike's career and how he could solve problems and deal with unforeseen issues.

At times, I felt I got a little lost among the many character names and events within the plot, but the main storyline focused on Hunter and his role in the Reno trial and kept me coming back for more. I had some mixed feelings about the ending, but I'm eager to find out what sort of trouble Mike will get himself into in book two of the series. I noticed numerous minor proofreading errors and had to reduce my rating by one star. Therefore, I give Guardians of Justice three out of four stars.

I'd highly recommend this book to those who love legal dramas with a bit of romance. There was frequent mild swearing thought the text but no erotic content. Riddle established an opening for a sequel and future endeavors for the talented Michael Hunter with an open-ended but conclusive ending.

Guardians of Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

When it comes to law, it can be very tricky. No criminal is to be left unpunished. Justice need to be guarded at all time and I hope Mike guards it.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Reno's character is an interesting one. I would love to read the book to know how the story ended. Thanks for your review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This Is a good mystery book that has to do with solving a case of murder and rape. The book also seems to be fast-paced and fascinating to read this book. Nice review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t usually like any sort of romance in the books that I read, but I think that I can ignore a small amount in order to get into this book. I want to know what happens with Mike and his defense of Reno.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing legal thriller. I'm curious to discover what's behind that brutal murder and Eddie Reno's attitude. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”