Review of Women of Fire and Snow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Women of Fire and Snow

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Women of Fire and Snow" by Nati del Paso.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Women of Fire and Snow is a collection of seven short stories and a poem written by Nati del Paso. With a spotlight shone on the atrocities faced by women, especially those of Mexican descent, it unites the consequences of misogynistic violence with the exploration of mystical and supernatural forces. Heavily based on Mexican folklore and superstition, the stories are set mostly in the Snoqualmie region, and each tale can be read on its own.

Illegal Matters kicks off the collection, following an aspiring medical doctor whose father has been detained by ICE. In a desperate bid to keep her family together, she makes a deal with a greasy attorney, falling prey to his manipulations and almost losing herself in the process. The Devil You Know comes next, where Emiliana, an elderly curandera, journeys to Tatiana, her great-granddaughter’s home to help her recuperate after an accident. The two soon uncover the truth behind Tatiana’s new husband. Yessica, in A Safer Place, learns the danger of wishing for something you do not truly want. Honor Your Mother describes two siblings’ hunt for their mother. It is followed by Soul Sacrifice, a story in which Luz discovers the depth of her mother’s love for her and their family. Still Waters is the sixth story, describing how a girl and her two friends used the trans-dimensional portals of the Snoqualmie River to get rid of her predator of a stepfather. Ixchel, in The Cicada’s Song, finds her calling in her quest for justice for her murdered cousin. Iris, a poem, is an appropriate closing to the collection, encapsulating the message of the preceding stories.

Female protagonists dominate the backbone of all the stories. They are mostly of Mexican descent, and they must fight the harsh, evil realities of the world to prevent their victimization and being taken advantage of. The stories don’t always have a happy ending, though this wasn’t an issue, as they end up teaching both readers and the characters something. I liked that Women of Fire and Snow showed the treatment minority groups – or the sex deemed inferior – are subject to. The struggles that immigrants face and how easily they are exploited are also highlighted.

An undercurrent of darkness suffuses the narration. Profane and sexual content are also present. Readers should watch out for triggering material, specifically those featuring femicide, gender-based violence, and rape. This ties in with del Paso’s skill in writing descriptive and vivid scenes. There’s no shying away from the gore and horrors the characters deal with, almost making it seem as if you’re right there with them as they experience each event.

I found The Cicada’s Song to be the most interesting read. In it, Ixchel tries to make the public aware of the coverup of her cousin’s murder by her boyfriend, the nephew of a state persecutor. This story had more supernatural elements than the others, though this was not the only reason I favoured this story. Quotes from different victims head each chapter, almost as though the women were communicating with readers after their deaths. It was slightly morbid, but it added to the eerie, wronged, and vengeful tone of the story.

On a completely random note, I just loved how Emiliana was described in The Devil You Know. I constantly pictured this tiny, harmless-looking bundle of humanity wielding enormous power, which brought a chuckle while reading. I also enjoyed the Spanish phrases and proverbs that made frequent appearances. Some of these were entirely unfamiliar to me, but a quick Google search never hurt anyone. I cannot think of anything I truly disliked about this book.

I concluded that this book has not been professionally edited. This was because I found several errors in the writing. Character names also suffered from this, like the changing of Araceli to Aracely and the mixing up of Tzitzimitl with Tzitzilime. I believe another round of editing is required to improve the book’s writing standard.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Women of Fire and Snow told tales of how women survived and bounced back from the trauma they underwent, delivered in an engaging and graphically realistic manner. The only drawback had to do with how many errors were found in the book. The mature themes present make this book suitable only for an adult-aged audience or adolescents with parental supervision. Readers who enjoy women’s fiction would also enjoy this book. People who are sensitive to violence against women should perhaps not read this book.

Women of Fire and Snow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like that there are females in the main roles of all the stories. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

While I do really like stories with strong female leads the number of errors that were mentioned in this book changed my mind. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about the poem, as it's difficult for me to appreciate a poem in a language that's not my own but the short stories address a problem that's still far too common today. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

Very detailed and thorough summary of the book. I like the highlights of the book especially the lessons that can be gleaned from the individual stories. It is important to share such stories to spread awareness about the mistreatment of women. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”