Review of Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review of Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How did the North and South become united after the Civil War? How did families heal from the losses they suffered? Can these wounds be healed?

Ty volunteered to fight for the Confederates in the Civil War as a freeborn black man. After the Confederate Army surrendered at Vicksburg, Ty decided to leave Louisiana and begin a new life on the west coast. At the same time, Jack Donaldson, an expert marksman, joined the Union Army. Following the death of several of his friends, Jack requested his muster pay. He had sufficient funds to purchase a packhorse and a bay. He took his two horses and headed west. Eventually, the paths of these two former soldiers crossed. How will things work out for these two men who fought on opposite sides in the war? Will they share the same opinion about fighting the Indians? How will they find wives on this untamed frontier?

Flat Top Mountain Ranch: The Beginning is a historical fiction novel written by James E. Doucette. The story is set in the 1860s and incorporates many battles and events related to the Civil War. The narrative also described the life of cowboys and settlers as they traveled west. Readers learn about cattle branding, horse taming, cattle rustlers, and confrontations with the Indian tribes.

I enjoyed the author’s ability to stimulate readers to consider alternative consequences of life after the Civil War. How were families, divided by war, able to come together? The author included historical information about the plight of the Indian tribes as more settlers headed west. The narrative included unique friendships that make one reflect on the ability of people to forgive and accept each other as fellow human beings. The book branches into a bit of romance without any inappropriate scenes and soldiers and cowboys without any profanity.

The short chapters frustrated me and could have been consolidated without affecting the flow of the plot. There were some grammar errors, but most of these occurred as incorrect Spanish translations. Sensitive readers should be aware that the author does present the realities of war, battle wounds, and scalping.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author presented a unique perspective of the aftermath of the Civil War. The dialogues and descriptions carry readers back to the era described while inviting readers to consider how people reacted to the outcome of the Civil War. Readers interested in U.S. history, particularly the Civil War and the settling of the West, would enjoy this story. History teachers could integrate this book into their curriculum for middle and high school classes. This book would also open peoples’ minds to ways to heal racial divisions.

Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

The book teaches about the historic Civil War. I bet reading this will give me more idea about the said war since I'm not so familiar with it. Great review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I was debating whether to read this book or not. But your review solved my problem - that this book is not for me. The historic Civil war stories doesn't appeal me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I am not much into historical non-fiction books, so I will skip this one. But this book sounds great for a person who is into such things. Thanks for the great review!
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I have not read much about the American civil war and how it affected the population or the soldiers who fought in the war, but your review gives me a clear insight. Seems like it offers a good read. Thanks.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great and captivating read for historical fiction lovers. I like that it openly speaks about racial injustice! Thank you so much for a great review :) A book worth reading indeed.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Unosthetic wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 01:31 The book teaches about the historic Civil War. I bet reading this will give me more idea about the said war since I'm not so familiar with it. Great review!
It is an interesting way to learn about these historical events and the consequences of this war. I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for stopping by!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a great historical fiction novel. It will be interesting to see how soldiers who fought on opposing sides viewed each other once the Civil War was over.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I like the author's writing style, but I am not much into civil war stories. So I think I will skip this one. Thanks for the honest review!
LindoM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindom.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by LindoM »

Thank you for your detailed review! This sounds like an informative book and one that can help to progress certain conversations we are already having in today's society.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 03:04 I was debating whether to read this book or not. But your review solved my problem - that this book is not for me. The historic Civil war stories doesn't appeal me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment on the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”