Review of Diamond in the Desert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Diamond in the Desert

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diamond in the Desert" by Karen Gilleland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hope Diamond is the head of Diamond Security. The agency was just hired to protect four influential, high-profile women and their guests while they attend a private meeting at the Secret Sands Resort in the middle of the Navajo Nation. Hope is highly intuitive and has subtle premonitions, and she senses that trouble is coming. She received a call from her long-distance boyfriend, an FBI agent who works out of Washington, notifying her that information about the meeting was found on the dark web. Someone might be targeted for assassination. The morning after everyone arrived, Meghan, one of the guests, was found dead of suspicious causes.

Since the meeting was on an Indian reservation, an FBI agent, Matt Dennison, was sent to investigate the death. Although he was excellent at his job, Matt could be very abrasive and rub people the wrong way. Hope and her team were informed that he didn’t want them involved in his investigation. However, Hope was determined to find out if Meghan was murdered and who was responsible; after all, Diamond Security’s reputation was on the line. This caused Matt and Hope to butt heads frequently. Nonetheless, they have to work fast to uncover the evidence before the guests leave for home or someone else is murdered.

Diamond in the Desert: A Hope Diamond Mystery by Karen Gilleland is a 316-page mystery/crime drama. Romance and paranormal elements are also woven into the story. Although this is the first book in the series, it is a standalone story. The author’s prose is lucid and interesting. She has created characters that are varied and believable. The plot is mesmerizing; multiple twists and turns keep the reader guessing what is coming next. I also loved the descriptions of the colorful landscapes, reminding me of my travels in New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.

I enjoyed the leading characters in the story. Hope is beautiful, but she is also talented, intelligent, and thoughtful of others. She has learned to listen to her intuition and makes a wonderfully strong female protagonist. Although Matt is bull-headed and easy to loathe at the beginning, his softer, protective, and friendlier side comes through as the story develops, making him more likable. The author’s smart decision to gradually insert information about the guests prevents us from getting overwhelmed with trying to remember everyone at once. It also informs the reader of the characters’ aspirations and possible motives.

One of the things I thoroughly enjoyed in the novel was the information occasionally introduced into the story about the Navajo Indians. This not only pertains to their history but also their beliefs. For instance, Mr. Desheenie, one of the characters in the book who is a Navajo Indian, said, “My people have a great fear of the dead. We never mention their name. A dead person’s spirit, their chindi, can come back and bring harm.” This fear caused the resort to lose several of the employees because of Meghan’s death.

Having discovered nothing about the story to dislike, I am delighted to award Diamond in the Desert: A Hope Diamond Mystery four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy mysteries, crime dramas, and romance novels. Since only occasional episodes of non-graphic violence, one borderline profanity, and no sex were encountered in the book, I believe it would be appropriate for teenage and older people. If mysteries and crime novels are not enjoyed by the reader, then they should search elsewhere for a book to enjoy.

Diamond in the Desert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This novel sounds undoubtedly interesting! I love when books have more than one of my favorite genres all wrapped into one creative story. Thank you for your great review! :D
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Crime scene novels are intriguing to read, the suspense takes you to a different world entirely. I love the review.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

I could have never guessed the theme of the book by its title. The story plot sounds very interesting and I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for a well-put-together review!
Palesa Swartz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Palesa Swartz »

Now this is definitely something I would read and definitely will enjoy. The Grammer and the payout of the story is just amazing I love it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 16:05 This novel sounds undoubtedly interesting! I love when books have more than one of my favorite genres all wrapped into one creative story. Thank you for your great review! :D
I couldn't agree more! I hope you get a chance to read the book!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would love to read this book! Navajo Indians culture and that interesting fact you've mentioned about their beliefs make it so worth reading :) Also, a supernatural element is very intriguing :D Thanks for this amazing review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nazzy_ wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 16:29 Crime scene novels are intriguing to read, the suspense takes you to a different world entirely. I love the review.
I think mysteries/crime novels are my favorite genre, and this one was very good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

shreyagupta wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 21:13 I could have never guessed the theme of the book by its title. The story plot sounds very interesting and I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for a well-put-together review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Prisallen wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 14:44
shreyagupta wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 21:13 I could have never guessed the theme of the book by its title. The story plot sounds very interesting and I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for a well-put-together review!
I hope you enjoy it. I feel sure that you will!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Palesa Swartz wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 21:43 Now this is definitely something I would read and definitely will enjoy. The Grammer and the payout of the story is just amazing I love it!
Then, I certainly hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 10:18 I would love to read this book! Navajo Indians culture and that interesting fact you've mentioned about their beliefs make it so worth reading :) Also, a supernatural element is very intriguing :D Thanks for this amazing review!
I certainly think you would enjoy it! Thank you, my friend, for reading my review and posting a comment.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

This book deems to be screaming my name. A wonder thriller. I would love to uncover the mystery and find our who the murderer how and how the events went down. Also, the characters seem humourous.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amanda I wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 04:27 This book deems to be screaming my name. A wonder thriller. I would love to uncover the mystery and find our who the murderer how and how the events went down. Also, the characters seem humourous.
I think you will enjoy reading it. Thanks for the comments!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! I love mystery that involves more nations because I know for sure the leading investigator will always clutch in the matters of jurisdictions, and most times these are hilarious to witness. Hope is the character I think I love, since I love strong, smart and beautiful female characters.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”