Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelly Jurkowski
Currently Reading: An Ice Cold Grave
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-jurkowski.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Review of The Date Farm

Post by Kelly Jurkowski »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Intriguing, mysterious, and frighteningly realistic accurately describe The Date Farm, by Jack Winnick. The story follows Mossad agents Uri Levin and Lara Edmond as they follow terrorist events from a mass shooting in a mall in Beverly Hills to the financial district in New York. In New York, the terrorists somehow cut communication lines, blockade a city block, and took over Chase Manhattan Bank and the Federal Reserve. Working with Homeland Security, the pair go undercover to track a dangerous terrorist cell and recover the valuable material stolen from the United States. The agents struggle to determine who they can trust as they move inside enemy territory, tracking a foe from their past.
Jack Winnick keeps the reader wondering how Uri and Lara will figure out how to stop this terrorist. An exciting story filled with suspense, the adventure moves quickly as the reader is familiar with some background information. We wanted the main characters to succeed and are constantly left wondering what will happen in each chapter. Jack Winnick changes the story’s location in different chapters, so we see the events as they are happening simultaneously. The reader knows what the members of the terrorist cell are doing and thinking while the military and Americans are trying to figure out what the vicious terrorist group is planning.
The terrorists’ quest to become martyrs is enthralling but a bit general and simplistic. There are a few areas of the story where the author repeats himself and gives details previously shared. This repetition could slow down the story, but that is not the case. As the heroes are Americans and those friendly to America, the “good guys” are shown as above reproach and positively. Their personalities are depicted in great detail with detailed explanations. Conversely, the “bad guys” are characterized negatively with little to no humanity as they attack without regard for others. The descriptions are not as specific and lack the details that surround the heroes.
This book is the fourth in a series, and while it could stand alone, I think that reading the earlier books in the series would have given me more background on the main characters and their actions. A suspenseful and exciting story, I would rate The Date Farm four out of four stars. The book was exceptionally well-edited with no errors. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fictional but realistic story of intrigue.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

This story has a great deal of interest. I'm curious how Uri and Lara handled the fresh message they got while on vacation.
Superb review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”