Review of Earth has Fallen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of Earth has Fallen

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Earth has Fallen" by Peter Servidio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trekker Jiles is the only one left who saw the world end. He calls it World War III and tells us that it took less than two weeks for the world to die. He doesn’t know who shot the first missile. No one knew, even then. Scientists said that the nuclear winter would only last for about ten years, but this is the year 66 A.E. (After the Extinction), and there’s no end in sight. My name is Loreto, and I was born seventeen years ago. As is the custom in Toleran (formerly known as Emery Deep Mine), I got my assignment today. I’m going to be a Topsider! Even as bad as Jiles says it is, I can’t wait to see the “world above” on the surface. I want to be the best scavenger ever. If I’m incredibly lucky, maybe I’ll spot signs of life, possibly even other survivors!

Being a Topsider is not for everyone. The open spaces can be terrifying when you’re used to the protection of miles of solid rock. Then there’s the Ash Walkers - those who stayed above. They’re not entirely human anymore. They adapted to the Extinction differently than we did – their lives are violent, and only the strongest survive. The weak are killed or allowed to die. Afterward, they become food. And if the Ash-Walkers catch us outside? So do we.

In Earth has Fallen: Return from Darkness, by Peter Servidio, we meet Loreto as he receives his assignment as a Topsider and accompany him on his first excursion topside. He faces a devastated landscape. The Earth exists in constant twilight, covered by dust and ever-falling ash. (Time-skip to approximately two years later.) Loreto has become a seasoned veteran with more than one hundred trips topside under his belt. He found a few signs of life along the way, fresh scat (animal poop) or sometimes a contaminated animal carcass. But he never encountered any humans other than those in Toleran…until now.

With as many books as I have read over the years, it is rare for me to find a true can’t-put-down read. I was up until 4 a.m. when I blearily realized that I had read the book straight through in one sitting. The lost sleep was well worth it. Peter Servidio has a distinctive writing style that uses the history of war and real-world nuclear capabilities to create a frighteningly credible tale of ‘what-might-be.’ Add to that a taste of H.P. Lovecraft, a dash of Stephen King, and a (small) bit of Tolkien and you have a novel comprised of consummate world-building and detail.

I came to know and care about each of those who would become Loreto’s companions as well as a select few of the other characters. Some I liked more than others and rooted for from the beginning, others I found merely tolerable. But there was one I found truly horrifying – Michael, the antagonist. I mean that literally…horrifying…not distasteful or anything weaker. The author crafted this man so adroitly that he showed darkness as only the human soul can render it. If you don’t or can’t appreciate the dark side of humanity, you might want to steer clear of this book.

The author’s writing is incisive and thought-provoking. But even better (in my opinion) was the sheer immersion I felt while reading. The danger was real, my heart was racing, and I could almost feel the Ash-Walker’s hot breath on the back of my neck. Loreto and his companions were stunningly engaging and relatable. I traveled with them and sat with them as our campfire fought the freezing cold of winter. I laughed with them and fought alongside them. And I felt both their victories and defeats as if they were my own. This immersion was what I loved best about the book. I never wanted it to end. But end it did, and in one of my least favorite ways – on a major cliffhanger. I must admit, as much as I hate it, it worked this time. I will be eagerly looking for the next book in the series. I must see where this goes.

I wish I could give Earth has Fallen a resounding four stars. However, reluctantly and with great regret, I can only award it 3 out of 4 stars due to the many errors I found. There are only a few non-borderline curse words in the book and no erotic scenes whatsoever. However, there are a few gory scenes. I would recommend this book to any sci-fi enthusiast with a taste for post-apocalyptic novels with a bit of darkness within them.

Moderator's Note: The author has has this book edited since the publication of this review.

Earth has Fallen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Nuclear winter is a very real possibility and it would be interesting to see how this book portrays the results. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Emmanuel Luyakha
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Emmanuel Luyakha »

Amazing! The review depicts that the book gives a glimpse of the future. I would like to explore more of such though am not a fan of sci-fi novels. Thanks for the review.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Wahhhh! This book seems to be an interesting read. I want to read it. I am curious to know more about Ash walkers and how they evolved or adopted to the present climate. Thank you for the wonderful review!
🌻🌼
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This was a great review. I admire this exceptional writing.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

What a catchy introduction! I almost felt like I was living in the future.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I think the introduction of this book is captivating and convincing,am interested in reading this book, nice review.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Trekker being the only one left who saw the world end, is really a fascinating concept and an interesting read. It is an extraordinary plotline so far that offers a variety of tensions. Great review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Trekker being the only one left who saw the world end, is really a fascinating concept and an interesting read. It is an extraordinary plotline so far that offers a variety of tensions. Great review!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Niens Now wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 01:04 Nuclear winter is a very real possibility and it would be interesting to see how this book portrays the results. Thank you for a great review.
Unfortunately, it is a possibility that is all too possible and frightening. The author does an excellent job of portraying how it would look and feel to live in such a world. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Last edited by Lisa A Rayburn on 12 Sep 2021, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Emmanuel Luyakha wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 04:52 Amazing! The review depicts that the book gives a glimpse of the future. I would like to explore more of such though am not a fan of sci-fi novels. Thanks for the review.
To each their own, as they say. The book portrays a possible future with outstanding reality. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Priya_Singh wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 10:28 Wahhhh! This book seems to be an interesting read. I want to read it. I am curious to know more about Ash walkers and how they evolved or adopted to the present climate. Thank you for the wonderful review!
🌻🌼
It is quite interesting. The Ash Walkers are a truly chilling adaptation of humanity in reaction to the radiation and nuclear winter. Thanks for stopping by and commenting; I appreciate it!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nazzy_ wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 19:00 This was a great review. I admire this exceptional writing.
Thank you so much for the lovely compliment. Thanks for stopping by to read the review! I appreciate it.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Recee Ann wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 23:21 What a catchy introduction! I almost felt like I was living in the future.
Nkgchidimma080 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 17:09 I think the introduction of this book is captivating and convincing,am interested in reading this book, nice review.
Thank you! I like to try novel things to catch readers' attention. I'm glad it worked! If you read the book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks to both of you for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Elisa Joy Ocasla wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 00:07 Trekker being the only one left who saw the world end, is really a fascinating concept and an interesting read. It is an extraordinary plotline so far that offers a variety of tensions. Great review!
It is an interesting read with several valid concepts about what might happen after a nuclear war. At times, the plotline is quite tense, but it has its light moments as well. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”