Review of Little Explorers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Little Explorers

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Explorers" by Emanuel Shorten EL Sr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children are naturally inquisitive; The Little Explorers taps into that trait. This vibrantly illustrated storybook is about four classmates who share the same wonders about the world and the universe.

Chris, Melissa, Sue, and Jose come from different backgrounds and ethnicities—but that doesn’t keep them from being the best of friends. These “Little Explorers”—as they call themselves—are constantly busy; whether it’s tending to the small class garden, talking about the news, or making plans for fifth grade.

One day, the sky changed color, and the sun hid behind the clouds. Their teacher quickly ushered everyone back to their seats. What was happening outside? Why did the weather change? These are just some questions the “Little Explorers” had about the creation around them.

Written by Emanuel Shorten EL Sr., this narrative isn’t what I expected; the blurb suggested something about “the universe that the Creator made”—I assumed it pertained to religion, but it didn’t. It could be that the author was reaching for a wider audience, without picking any particular religion; it allows for subjective interpretation which is a positive point. Readers who consider themselves spiritual might appreciate this side of the book.

The ethnic diversity of the young cast is another positive aspect; it shows in the plotline and Zain Ali’s illustrations. Ali gives each character their unique features, such as skin tone and hair texture. However, the message that friendship supersedes any nationality is a more profound aspect.

Shorten’s book explicitly encourages children to question the world around them; no subject is out of bounds for his little explorers—nature, climate, even the latest news. It ties into the concept of "creation by the Creator"; for those sensitive about this idea, Shorten mentions it outside of the plotline.

Still, some areas could use improvement, namely the plot and the formatting. The text formatting was inconsistent; sometimes, it would be in a standard paragraph, other times in a text box. The callout bubbles were a space-saving add-on but didn't always point to the correct person.

While the plotline met the aim of the book, the resolution was unclear and incomplete. The little explorers have many interesting questions that remained unanswered at the end—leaving the reader with a cliffhanger.

As a result, I rate this 3 out of 4 stars. The illustrations and the positive message do not merit a lower rating. I recommend it to anyone searching for a story with a friendship theme. Also, those wanting a school-themed story might enjoy it. Those looking for a straightforward ending might want to pass this book.

Little Explorers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Books that teach children to question the world are invaluable. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Being curious and exploring are very important for children. However, the title made me think about a different type of exploring. Thank you for your informative review!
reviewinraven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewinraven.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by reviewinraven »

The diversity of the characters makes this book very appealing and especially beneficial to children. I think friendship regardless of ethnicity is a powerful message and it makes me glad to see it in a children's book. Thank you for this constructive review!
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Well, this one is different. It's important to teach our children the value of exploration and diversity - especially the latter. Thank you for such a detailed review 👌
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I think I would give this book to my inquisitive folks. Thank you!
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I find this book interesting,would definitely add this to my books shelves, beautiful review .
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think it's important for kids to learn critical thinking. Learning to question and analyze the world is a good way to develop the skill. Excellent review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Kids' curiousity is always on the next level. I'm delighted to find out more about the book. Thanks for a wonderful and great review!
Bernadeth Jaron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bernadeth Jaron »

Every children's wonder exploring new things! Even me when I'm a little i was wondering about people & i always think they are all nice.
Abigail Baloyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Abigail Baloyi »

The book that teach good friendship towards children is greater than anything else. Great review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I love the fact that the children were not turned down when they ask certain questions about the world they live in. This is a great review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love friendship, the theme in this book is perfect for me, thanks for the honest review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Niens Now wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 01:01 Books that teach children to question the world are invaluable. Thank you for a lovely review.
It is good to have children ask questions and investigate. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:16 I love friendship, the theme in this book is perfect for me, thanks for the honest review.
I am sure you'll like it. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”