Review of Last Words from Above

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Last Words from Above

Post by RHD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Words from Above" by Jeremy Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Words from Above by one Jeremy Brown is a modern day ‘Proverbs’. First, it makes a lot of references to the Bible. Also, it’s full of wisdom and insight. Almost every reader will have something new to learn and apply from this work of art. It’s the seventh and last book in the series. Mr. Brown likes to go to lonely mountain places to ‘listen’ and meditate. It was during such a time that he came up with such wisdom as is evident in this masterpiece.

There are so many good quotes in Mr. Brown's book. I had way too many favourites. It was a great task to reduce them to just a snippet of the following five. 132: The key to never running out of anything is to consistently put in more than you take out. 224: Someone who is quick to lie for you will probably be just as quick to lie to you; liars are rarely loyal. 511: A true measure of power is displayed by one’s ability to make those around him better, not one’s ability to make themselves look better than those around them. 923: You should learn all of the shortcuts to success and be sure not to take any of them, because they will prove to be a great waste of time. 1575: Remember to go back and share your victories with those who stood with you through your defeats. I also enjoyed the fact that the format and language were both quite simple. This makes the quotes enjoyable and beneficial to an even larger audience. Finally, all the quotes are duly numbered, from 1 to 2001, which makes it easy for reference.

One thing I disliked about the book was repetition. It wasn’t rampant. It was just a minor hitch here and there which didn’t actually affect my reading. Christian references might be a no for quite a number of readers, but I wouldn’t really call it a major dislike for me.

I found less than ten minor errors throughout the book. This goes to say that the book was professionally edited. In fact, two of those errors were just digits repetition in pages 140 and 141. These errors and the above reasons didn’t warrant the loss of a single star. Therefore, I rate Last Words from Above 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is meant for those that seek to enlighten themselves. Anyone who seeks wisdom and insight will appreciate this one. In matters religion, Mr. Brown clearly wrote this piece with Christians in mind. There are various references of Christ, Satan and other personalities in the Bible like Moses and Peter. Muslims and readers from other religions might not prefer this one. It goes without saying that there were no instances of vulgar language or eroticism. Hence, readers of any age would enjoy the book. Again, as the language is simple and straightforward for most readers.

Last Words from Above
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I have 60 quotes from this book in my whittled-down list, and I read through it occasionally. I agree—it feels like a modern book of Proverbs. Thank you for your take on this book and reminding me to check my list!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

A book that has many quotables is fun to read. I enjoyed reading your review, keep up the good work.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book sounds amazing. I loved the quotes you shared. I especially loved this one: The key to never running out of anything is to consistently put in more than you take out. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Not a book for me. Great review, though!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for sharing your favorite quotes from the book! The author's wisdom is evident and reminds us of how much common sense we have forgotten. The author's words are suitable for all times and ages. Wonderful recommendation!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Although you haven't recommended this to me, I find it appealing :) thanks for a well-written review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I like enlightening books, but being a non-Christian, I'll pass this one. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”