Review of Chasing Seyboro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Chasing Seyboro

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing Seyboro" by 'Diesel' Dave Galloway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chasing Seyboro by 'Diesel' Dave Galloway is a non-fiction title that details a bike accident that nearly cost the author his life, his nerve-wracking road to recovery, and his struggles to push on with life.

On December 14, 2006, Dave, a passionate cyclist and member of the Seyboro Cyclist Bicycle Club, had a terrible accident while riding his bike. He had a head-on collision with a car, which catapulted him into a ditch about 150 feet from the point of impact. A chopper had to airlift him from the accident scene to the nearest hospital. Dave stayed in a coma for a month and endured over 25 surgical operations. When Dave asked the doctor if he could ever ride a bike again, he replied that Dave would be lucky to walk again. However, he wouldn't accept defeat. Dave continued to work tirelessly, with the support of his family and Seyboro friends, to get better. Most importantly, he was determined to ride a bike again.

This author's story is a testament that the kind of family and friends we are lucky to have plays a huge role in the hurdles we can surmount. Readers would appreciate how the author's family and friends continued to make sacrifices to ensure that he survived. I don't intend to play down the author's willingness to live or God's grace over his life; however, the love shown toward him by his friends from the Seyboro Cyclist Bicycle Club and family is exemplary. And I must say that I enjoyed that aspect of the book.

Dave's good sense of humor is evident throughout the book. I enjoyed how funny some of his narrations were. Considering how touching the narrations of the author's ordeal were, I was glad to find some comic relief therein. I also liked how the story followed a linear progression of events, as it made the book easy to understand. But what I enjoyed most about the book was that it contained pictures that made it even more relatable. The photos of his crushed bike, friends and family members, the fixators on his body, metal elbows, etc., would help readers appreciate the story better.

Furthermore, the message that this book intends to share is both inspiring and eye-opening. I learned to be courageous and forgiving. But above all, I learned to have some fun and do the things I love because life is unpredictable. I wasn't happy with some of the risky physical activities the author participated in after his discharge from the hospital and could only imagine his wife's frustration. However, she left a touching letter at the end of the book that melted my heart. The risks aside, I am sure we can all learn from Dave's resilient nature and thoughtfulness to volunteer to help others undergoing similar challenges.

In conclusion, I am glad to have read this book, and I happily rate it four out of four stars. I found nothing to dislike about the title and would highly recommend it to lovers of inspiring non-fiction books, especially those about survivors of near-fatal accidents. The book seems professionally edited, as I found only a few typos in it. This title is also the third installment in the series about Dave's life. While reading the other two would be worthwhile, it is not imperative to read them to enjoy this one.

Chasing Seyboro
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Your captivating review makes me want to read the book right now. I am so curious to discover if Dave even managed to ride the bike again. The subject of the book reminds me of "100 meters" (a very inspirational Spanish movie). Thank you for the recommendation!
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Surviving a fall into a ditch of 150 feet is indeed a rare opportunity. I must confess that your review makes the book more interesting to read. Well done!
Last edited by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon on 05 Sep 2021, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Surviving a fall into a ditch of 150 feet is indeed a rare opportunity. I must confess that your review makes the book more interesting to read. Well done!
LindoM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindom.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by LindoM »

Your review makes me want to pick up the book immediately. I'm curious to see Galloway's writing style. You make it sound like a book no one should miss the opportunity to read because of the way it reminds you to enjoy life and seek adventures. Thank you for your detailed and empathetic review.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

You wrote such a compelling review. I think the author must have done an excellent job if Daves sense of humor was that evident. Thank you for the recommendation.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

This sounds like an incredible book. Overcoming such difficulties is inspiring and really put your own issues into perspective. Well done on the beautifully written review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely read this book, I love such stories very much :) Your review is amazing, thank you so much for it!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I would love to read this book. Dave's journey seems very inspiring. His will and determination to not let anything deter him from riding a bike again are so fascinating. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This is definitely a book I would want to read, what an inspiring and motivating story. Thank you for your great review!
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This book seems like a deep and eye-opening story about recovery and love. Mr. Galloway evidently went through a lot. I was scared that the story would be too heavy and sad to enjoy, but both the devotion of his friends and family and the comic relief you mentioned must alleviate the darker moments.
Thank you for this amazing review!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Dave's life is a testament that being resilient and positive after an accident will lead to healing. I'm glad that he has the full support and love of his family and friends from the Seyboro Cyclist Bicycle Club. His resilience to go back on track is admirable and inspiring. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sara Rispo »

It is evident that this book possesses a great deal of inspiration and provides significant insights that are applicable to anyone who takes the time to read it. Life is unpredictable and we should appreciate every moment of it. Thanks for your review!
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80291
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 786%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

A book (3) part series by diesel .. founding cycling club that help the agent through his rough life his 13yo accident by bicycle after he was struck head on by motorist that left him with serious injuries that see him spend 4 months in hospital undergoing over 25 constructive surgery that would make him resume normal life , his bike club has been there for him..
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am intrigued by the details surrounding the bike accident that nearly killed the author. I am fascinated to learn about his road to recovery. I am interested in learning how supportive the author's family, friends, and relatives are in his path to being able to ride a bike again.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”