Review of Ituy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Ituy

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ituy" by Taylor Willingham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ituy is a non-fiction title in which the author, Taylor Willingham, narrates his adventures as a young missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Philippines, where he went to try and convert the Igorot and Cagayanese people. His experiences in the Philippines, especially in Dupax Del Sur, a land anciently known as Ituy, changed his life. Willingham was nineteen years old in 2001 when he went on this adventurous and life-changing two-year trip. His struggles as a missionary helped him develop practices that changed him, and he shares this incredible coming-of-age story in the book, walking readers through his transformation.

The author grew up in Springville, Utah, a ghetto of Provo, Utah, the location of the Missionary Training Center. As a child, his father, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, made him read the Bible and Book of Mormon every day. The author tells readers that as a child and teenager, he was a below-average student who didn’t possess many skills or knowledge. His work as a missionary changed this.

The book had several positive aspects. For starters, I appreciated the author’s idea that this adventure was akin to the age-old mythical narrative of a hero’s journey, a rite of passage from childhood to adulthood. He argues that Mormons are one of the few communities that still practice this rite of passage. I liked how he uses poetic language and metaphors throughout the book. The author’s writing style is touching and candid. Willingham had to endure a burnt face, aching legs, mosquito bites, and raw inner thighs, among other hardships.

Additionally, I enjoyed the author’s portrayal of the Philippines. Throughout the book, Willingham shares some of the rich history of the Cagayan Valley, especially the Catholic missionaries who sacrificed their lives for the Cagayanese hundreds of years ago. He tells readers the story of Father Gutierrez, who had opened the work in Ituy to Christian missionaries almost 400 years before. For thirty-five years, Father Gutierrez taught the Igorots the gospel of Jesus. I also learned a lot about Mormons. For instance, I learned that all Elders wore garments that are also called Mormon underwear.

In closing, I gladly rate this poetic and heart-rendering book 4 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, for I only found a few editing mishaps. There’s nothing I didn’t like about it, and I would recommend it to readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories. Also, if you appreciate missionary tales, you should take a look at Ituy.

Ituy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

As someone who enjoys coming-of-age stories, I think this is the right book for me. Thank you for the recommendation, I enjoyed your review!
semira yasin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by semira yasin »

This should be a great book for religious readers who are looking into Christian books. It however might have limited number of readers, and might only interest people from the specific origion. However as a christian myself, I might give it a try to see the efforts and sacrifices one go through to get the word of God out there.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

As a Christian,I think this book would be of a great help to me in dealing with the challenges that comes with evangelism,thanks for the recommendation,nice review.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

A detailed and insightful review. Good job!
otegbeyeraphael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otegbeyeraphael.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by otegbeyeraphael »

A book for everyone. You will understand others and get to write your GOD STORY for the unborn generations after becoming the ITUY :D :techie-studyingbrown: :muahaha: .
Last edited by otegbeyeraphael on 10 Oct 2021, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Making an adventurous journey for a cause you believe in could be scary. We're glad you could share your story with us. Thank you for sharing this piece with us.

Great review. Thank you
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I have been trying to find this book. I found a review online and was captivated by it, I know this is a Christian book and mostly for the LDS community, but I enjoy coming-of-age stories and I hope I find this book soon.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a good structure and plot. It has a good flow. It seems interesting and captivating. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”