Review of New City Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of New City Chronicles

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New City Chronicles" by E.L. Hendrix.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

New City Chronicles by E.L. Hendrix is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy. This is the third book of the trilogy. Writing a summary of this work will be the most challenging task I've ever had here. Why is that, you may ask? First is because the plot is very complex, and second because it is a Herculean task to explain all the details of what is happening in a futuristic and post-apocalyptic world book without writing four paragraphs describing the previous books. Still, let's try.

The book begins in the Hall of the High Council, with 24 Inner Circle members discussing what will happen now that Archon Devan Elaniel is dead. The truth is that no one knows what happened, and several factions want different actions to be taken. The book will then continue and involve cloned protagonists, characters who are not what they appear to be, beings who can perform miracles, raise the dead, and much more. The story's main point is that Erafel's prophecy will happen if seven related beings find each other and one sacrifices her life for the others.

The most notable aspect of this book is the message of resilience and love. Most of the protagonists are characters who suffered a multitude of childhood abuse and who still deal in an exemplary manner with life's mishaps. Danette is the perfect example of a character who has suffered unspeakable abuse and yet kept his heart pure without any feelings of hatred. She is undoubtedly a fascinating character not only because of her nature but also because she is hilarious.

What I'm going to mention now isn't necessarily a flaw, but many people won't have the patience to deal with it. And what would that be? The truth is, the story is highly complex. There is a multitude of complicated concepts that include artificial intelligence, "carmelineals" (a being that has the power to mimic people), different types of "genetic dissidents," cloning, prophecies, a very high number of secondary characters (there are characters who are called by various names), and so forth. Believe me; the reader has to read the first two books and stop to read the passages several times to understand everything. I detected no errors in punctuation, spelling, or grammar. Still, in the list of the characters, the author mentions "Arianael, Baalan," but in the middle of the book, he calls him "Baalen." That's the only error I could find.

All things considered, New City Chronicles deserves four out of four stars. The author created a fantastic, complex, and captivating universe. The book is complicated, but readers who are patient and read and reread the text will understand everything because there is a glossary of terms and a list of characters at the beginning of the book.
I recommend this book to readers who like futuristic Sci-Fi/Fantasy. There are many swear words, and reports of children and teenagers who were sexually abused, so I don't recommend this book for anyone under 18 years old.

New City Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I loved how you already explained at the start why writing the review for this book is going to be tough. It sounds like a good read, and I would definitely prefer to start from the first book in the trilogy to understand it all better.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I love the effort you put in to write this wonderful review. I think I may not have the patience to deal with the complexity of the book. Thank you for mentioning it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a sophisticated series with a complex world-building and plot that are well-handled, though the story can be really tough for some characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I will probably check the first book of this series out! Thank you for the great review :)
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I’m quickly adding to my shelf. Wonderful work in the review. Thank you

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”