Review of The Codependency Recovery Blueprint

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of The Codependency Recovery Blueprint

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Codependency Recovery Blueprint" by Don Barlow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you clingy and feel trapped in a one-sided relationship? "Have you lost sight of who you are as an individual?" If your answers to these questions are yes, then you are most likely codependent. Your answer may have been no, but you may still be codependent since you do not understand what it fully entails, and its patterns are difficult to identify. In summary, codependency involves a person in a relationship that lacks mutual respect in a way that the person is completely dependent on their partner, especially emotionally, creating situations of low self-worth, low confidence, depression, anxiety, and even suicidal tendencies. "Symptoms of codependency are prevalent in about 90% of the population." Nevertheless, the good news is that there is a way out for codependent individuals.

Therefore, Don Barlow has presented The Codependency Recovery Blueprint, which aims at helping its target audience understand what codependency is in detail, the experiences that can lead to codependency, the patterns and stages of codependency, and methods to help patients regain their self-esteem, drop bad habits, establish independence, and more.

The author has done extremely well to present a comprehensive overview of what codependency is all about in this book. He favors a straightforward approach, providing readers with a clear progression while they learn and commence the journey towards recovery. Don Barlow taking his time from the beginning of the book to explain what codependency really means quickly had me engrossed in the message he was trying to pass across, especially when he explained the difference between codependence and caregiving, as I could even see myself in certain codependency situations.

After educating us on the meaning of this illness, the author then proceeds to offer practicable solutions in a stepwise and easy-to-understand manner. The first thing readers should understand about recovery from codependence is that it all starts from and mostly depends on you and your attitude, and Don Barlow does a fantastic job of motivating us and putting us in the right mind frame to take the bold decision to leave codependency behind and change our stories.

Some of the treatment techniques offered in the book revolve around the twelve steps, twelve traditions, and promises offered by support groups and exercises for self-improvement and overcoming self-doubt and self-pity. These exercises are included in ways to improve reader participation, as readers will get to answer a few helpful questions. The author offers as much in-depth knowledge as possible in these areas and employs repetition as a tool to drive home his lessons. Even though I benefitted from this aspect, I did find it exhausting to continuously read through the information that was similar to what I read previously. This was the only part of the book I disliked.

The work put into the editing of this guide is also noteworthy. The complete absence of errors meant that this was an exceptionally well-edited book. I rate The Codependency Recovery Blueprint four out of four stars. The complaint I discussed above is not enough to take away from the rating, as it can be seen as a positive for some readers. Readers suffering from codependency will greatly benefit from this book. If you are looking to improve your confidence, self-esteem, and level of self-care, this book is for you.

The Codependency Recovery Blueprint
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I did not know much about codependency until now. Thank you for your amazing review. Awesome job!
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

In my limited experience with providing therapy, I have come across clients with issues of dependent personality or attachment style. It is really an important aspect of a person's mental well-being and is often overlooked or trivialized. An amazing topic for a self-help book. Thanks for your interesting review.
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

An information packed book with lessons on codependency. Thank you for the recommendation.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

From the review, the book is educative material to read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”