Review of Gods In The Ruins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Gods In The Ruins

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods In The Ruins" by E. R. Barr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Move over, Indiana Jones! There’s another swashbuckling hero in town! Gods In The Ruins: A Vatican Archives Thriller by E. R. Barr is the fantastic debut to a genre-blending new series. The protagonist, Fr. Daniel Azar, is not your average priest. He’s also a trained archeologist and the godson of the current pope. But his story begins years earlier. As a Chaldean Christian in Iraq, Daniel had an unusual upbringing. At the age of eight, he was entrusted with a priceless gift – a ring that once belonged to King Nebuchadnezzar II. Daniel soon learns that this is no ordinary piece of jewelry, and there are many who would kill to have it. Fast forward to the present, and Daniel’s parents uncover an opulent Babylonian tomb. Inside the structure, they find a tablet with a shocking apocalyptic prophecy etched into its surface. Daniel senses that the discovery has something to do with him and his mysterious ring. With human and supernatural forces pursuing him, can the young clergyman survive multiple attempts on his life?

The intriguing cover image features the cracked sculpture of a Babylonian ruler and a fearsome dragon roaring as it emerges from the statue and other ancient ruins. So, readers can already get a sense of what to expect from this thrilling novel. My only critique is that the cover art consists of various shades of brown, and I would have preferred the addition of a contrasting color. The tale is written from the perspective of an omniscient narrator, and I appreciate the table of contents, character list, and titled chapters. The themes of this complex story include archeology, science fiction, biblical events, apocalyptic prophecies, mystery, terrorism, action, adventure, mythology, paranormal powers, and Vatican secrets. Because the main character is a Roman Catholic priest (like the author), the religion is discussed throughout the plot. Islamic beliefs are also described because the story takes place in a predominantly Muslim region. While these details add another layer to the narrative, Monsignor Barr included them tactfully and tastefully without sounding preachy. There are a number of violent scenes, and a few curse words appear in the text. However, there are no salacious scenes.

I was thoroughly impressed by the diversity of the characters and their distinctive personality traits. In addition to Daniel, the other characters are believable, and each of them added a memorable flair to the story. Markoz and Frannie Azar, Daniel’s parents, are respected archeologists and professors. In the aftermath of Saddam Hussein’s fall in the early 2000s, they made the difficult decision to send Daniel to live with his godfather, Pope Patrick. As the first Irish pontiff, Pope Patrick raised Daniel and nurtured his desire to join the priesthood. At the Vatican, Daniel met his best friend, a Swiss Guard named Luca. Brave, loyal, and fun, Luca is my favorite human character in the book. My favorite character overall is a magical wolfdog called Grigio. Like a faithful guardian, Grigio always came to protect Daniel whenever trouble was afoot. ISIS terrorists emerged as realistic villains, whereas the scholarly imam, Dr. Nabil Kasser, remained ambiguous because it’s hard to tell whether he’s a friend or a foe. Excellent backstories were provided for each character.

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed this book! It could be adapted into a great blockbuster film. Monsignor Barr has an exceptional gift for storytelling. His experience in the priesthood lends credence to the information and contributes to his vivid descriptions of the settings. He seamlessly combines fact with fiction to create an unforgettable story that is impossible to put down. I was blown away by the creativity, the unexpected moments, and the accuracy of the archeological details! The narrative is written so that readers are privy to the secret motives of supporting characters and left wondering when the truth will be revealed in the plot.

Apart from a few negligible errors, this is a fantastic book, and there is nothing to dislike about it. It is a perfect blend of action and humor that has rekindled my love of archeology. Therefore, I am pleased to award Gods In The Ruins: A Vatican Archives Thriller by E. R. Barr a rating of four out of four stars. Fans of the Indiana Jones series and The Mummy franchise will relish this novel. I certainly did! Now I’m waiting with bated breath for the sequel.

Gods In The Ruins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Artifacts DO come with their own followers. Many of them not so nice. I am excited to read this book.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

You got my attention after Indiana Jones! I think I'll check this book! Great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What a thriller! Your review makes me want to read the book for myself! Very nicely put together
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Wow, as a fan of Indiana Jones I have to read that! Thank you very much for this terrific recommendation!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I do enjoy a novel with action. Archeological accuracy would add appeal to this, however, I am not in any way a fan of religion, even though you mention that it was added tactfully. I am going to give this one a miss. Thank you for the lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Wow, all those themes! I definitely have to read this book. Thanks for such a wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I’ll admit that Indiana Jones is ok, but I’m not the biggest fan. However, your review is marvelous, and I can appreciate the many facets of this story.

Thank you for your thorough take on the first installment of this genre-blending new series!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Fantastic story with mysterious ring on the finger of the protagonist and its connection with Babylonian period makes the book interesting. Thanks for your nice review that gave good glimpse of the story.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I see the similarities with the premises of Indiana Jones's adventures with ISIS instead of the Nazis but still some intriguing archeological mysteries with some religious elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Wow! This seems intriguing. I enjoy reading these kind of books. Thanks for your brilliant review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I'm in! This sounds like an amazing series. Your description of the book's cover and the high praise for the author's ability to intrigue readers make this an appealing story. Thanks for the exciting recommendation!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Amy Luman wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 18:17 Artifacts DO come with their own followers. Many of them not so nice. I am excited to read this book.

Yes, indeed! I hope you get the chance to read this book. I believe you will enjoy it.

Thank you for your comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 00:29 You got my attention after Indiana Jones! I think I'll check this book! Great review!
Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate your comment.

I'm sure all fans of Indiana Jones will love this thrilling adventure novel.
😁
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Nqobile771 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 21:58 What a thriller! Your review makes me want to read the book for myself! Very nicely put together
Thank you for your positive comment! I hope you get the chance to read this entertaining book.
😁
― Horace Mann

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”