Review of The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review of The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers is a Science fiction thriller novel, which is set around in the Jurassic period initially and then jumps to 150 years later. Since when Dylan Armitage was 6 years old, he encounters with Allosaurus Dinosaur Skeleton, named Emily, in any nearby museums wherever he lives. The Allosaurus was named after Emily Marigate, the one who discovered her. Dylan used to believe Emily is his best friend, his guardian angel because she has always shown up in front of him anyhow wherever he and his family stays.

Later in the story, Emily from the Jurassic period shows up. At that time, she used to call herself ‘First’ as she came out from the egg first as compare to her siblings. From the beginning, First has tremendous will power to survive and to hunt without any mercy.

As the years moved on, Dylan began to release that it's not a coincidence that Emily has become a huge part of his life. There is something strange paranormal going on. Why is the skeleton of Allosaurus Dinosaur following Dylan? How further will Dylan go to save his family, especially his daughter Madison, from Emily's unstoppable attacks? Will Dylan be able to stop Emily, the blood thirsty monster, or will it become his own kind of monster?

This book captured my attention from the beginning right till the end. I specially liked the character of Tom Armitage, Dylan's father. Tom teaches Dylan many life-lessons throughout this book, and his favorite line, “Blood calls to blood,” actually became Dylan ugly fate. I loved the author's humorous writing style. There are many silly conversations because of which I enjoyed reading this book even more. The mysterious thriller element throughout this book was phenomenal. It was great that this book talks about the monster who lives within us too. I didn't find even a single grammatical or typing error while reading, I found this book well edited.

When it comes to any negative aspects, I can say there were some serious topics being discussed in this book which I was unprepared for. There have been many scenes where child molestation, child abuse, sexual abuse, profanity and many more other things has taken place. This book is definitely for a mature adult audience.

Because of all the aspects I stated above, I am rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the author's writing style, and his knowledge about dinosaurs he shared in this book is remarkable.

I don't recommend this book to young readers and to those people who don't like reading inappropriate adult content and blood spillage scenes. Furthermore, I would like to recommend this book to mature adult readers who enjoy reading science fiction thriller novels and don't have any problems with sexual content and profanity.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Thank you for the complete review! I am not inclined towards the dark aspects, but I find it refreshing to try something new once in a while, so I just might.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

You review is great, but unfortunately I don't prefer blood spillage scenes and adult content. So, I'll just pass this one.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

DTamara wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 09:07 Thank you for the complete review! I am not inclined towards the dark aspects, but I find it refreshing to try something new once in a while, so I just might.
Yeah, I can understand there are many sensitive topics discussed in this book, I too was not prepared for them. I hope you will enjoy reading this book. Thank you for stopping by DTamara, keep supporting!!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 11:37 You review is great, but unfortunately I don't prefer blood spillage scenes and adult content. So, I'll just pass this one.
Yeah, I can understand. I was too unprepared for them and didn't even knew that author will discuss such sensitive topics. But I really enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for stopping by Kaushiki, keep supporting!!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like reading about dinosaurs, so this story seems interesting. However, as you mentioned, I was not expecting any content discussing abuse. So, if I do read this book, I will have to prepare myself.

Thank you for your detailed review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

This sounds like an interesting read! It doesn't sound like it's my usual kind of thing, but maybe it's worth a shot. Thanks for the great review!
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I love science thrillers though adult content is a turn-off to me.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Josephe-Anne wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 05:39 I like reading about dinosaurs, so this story seems interesting. However, as you mentioned, I was not expecting any content discussing abuse. So, if I do read this book, I will have to prepare myself.

Thank you for your detailed review.
:techie-reference:
Then I think so you'll definitely enjoy reading this book, and the content discussed is quite disturbing but at the same time it is important for the plot and yeah better to be well prepared. Thank you for stopping by Josephe Anne, keep supporting!!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Sohana Hasan wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 11:58 This sounds like an interesting read! It doesn't sound like it's my usual kind of thing, but maybe it's worth a shot. Thanks for the great review!
Yeah, this book has unique plot, and I hope you'll enjoy reading it. Thank you for stopping by Sohana, keep supporting!!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 07:44 I love science thrillers though adult content is a turn-off to me.
Yeah, I can understand your point. Many readers (even me) don't like adult content. But I completed reading it because of the plot which is full of adventures. Thank you for stopping by Brandy, keep supporting!!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love reading Dinosaurs books. From your review the book sounds interesting, I would love to give it a try.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I like dinosaur-themed novels, so I could give this one a try :) Thank you very much for this insightful review!
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

You have articulated this review in an excellent manner. I just will not be able to read this book because of the incidences of child molestation and other similar severe themes. Anyways, its a detailed review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I also reviewed this book, and the topic of pedophilia also caught me by surprise. I enjoyed reading your take on this read!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”