Review of Making Monsters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Making Monsters

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Making Monsters" by AJ Parnell & Chuck Duncan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Making Monsters: Dark Origins has, at its center, the life of a young boy, Vander Masozi, who finds himself in the middle of a series of events that his young mind struggles to make sense of because of his abilities and lot in life.

Vander lives with his lazy, abusive, alcoholic father and a mentally defeated mother in a crumbling shanty in the slums of Cape Town. He struggles to provide food and sustenance for his family to prevent his father from abusing him and his mother. All this while, he struggles with a scary supernatural gift that gives him access to a terrifying world where he strangely finds reprieve.

The authors, AJ Parnell and Chuck Duncan, assign each chapter of the book with titles that provide scintillating insights into what the reader should expect. The chapters are concise, making the book relatively easy to read. The book contains graphic imagery of death, violence, and abuse that some readers may find unsettling.

The authors give us, piece by piece, stories of characters as they slowly introduce them. Through this process, readers take part in the journey, trying to piece the stories together and find the connection between these characters. Readers, of course, will find this very exciting. The book makes for a fascinating read, and readers may not be able to put it down till the very end.

I must say that this book is quite tragic and deals with a lot of grave themes. The authors take readers through many discomforting graphic details of death and abuse as seen through the life of a nine-year-old boy. Whether this is to create a sharp contrast with the truth of Vander’s life and the innocence that should have been the reality of such a young child is uncertain. Yet, they create the dreamy fantasies of children in Vander’s belief that he will one day escape his life.

In addressing domestic violence and abuse, the authors present Vander’s mum, Amahle. Readers may find themselves asking the same frustrating questions that we constantly ask about women in abusive marriages: why stay? The disappointing answer to this question will probably indicate the inefficiency with which national governments and international human rights agencies have treated the structures for handling such matters.

The authors subtly touch on the age-long gender bias. This is evident in how Kgotso, a local lieutenant, disregards detective Erin Reese and is offended that a woman will even have the guts to work as a law enforcement agent. As weird as this sounds in the 21st century, these scenarios still play out repeatedly.

The authors even bring in racism with the comments on how white authorities might not have bothered to send investigators had the victims of the murders been only blacks. They also hint at the corruption and degradation of professionalism and justice in the law enforcement agencies in South Africa. On the flip side, African readers may find themselves on the defensive while reading Making Monsters: Dark Origins. This will probably be in reaction to Africa being painted in a bad light.

This book presents many disturbing messages that not all classes of readers may be able to handle. From death, murders, abuse, racism, gender discrimination, sexual perversion, and poverty to mental ailment and religious compromises; Making Monsters: Dark Origins will task readers to question their trust in humanity and in the systems that exist.

By the end of the book, readers will be faced with an even more disturbing introspection — rationalizing evil in a person with the good that can be found in them. In this book that uses a different class of ‘monster’ to chase another, readers may feel guilty catching themselves admiring the twisted work of ‘the sculptor,’ a violent killer.

For delivering intrigue, suspense, mystery, emotions, and thrill, readers of mystery will find the intricacies of the book’s plot satisfying. I recommend this book to rational minds, not only for the thrill it provides but also for the many disturbing truths about our reality that it brings to the fore. I rate this book four out of four stars. While I didn’t have any issues with the book, its content may be unsettling for some readers.

Making Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

I must say this is the best review I have read from here.i like the emotional thriller like this.it sounds great with full of interesting adventure.thank you
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

The best books are the ones that make you question your morality. I like that the story has many points of reflection. This is honestly such an amazing review. I'm adding this to my shelf ;)
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Quite fascinating. At such a young age, Vander too up the responsibility of caring for his family while struggling with abilities that he was yet to understand. I would really love to read this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ellie Mitchell
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-mitchell.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Ellie Mitchell »

This sounds like a dark, gritty tale, which highlights various social issues. This, along with the slow reveal of characters and their connections to one-another, gives me the impression that I would enjoy reading this book. Thank you for such an in depth review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It may be difficult for me to read this novel, but I think I’ll give it a try. All forms of discrimination make me cringe.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your wonderful review. Looks like Vander has it tough, from the abusive father to the terrible supernatural ability he possesses. This sounds like a book I would want to read, as I want to see how the little boy can handle what life throws at him.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

It sounds like a great book. I love supernatural books. Though I'm not sure if I'm up for dealing with tragedy right now, I would definitely like to read the book sometime.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

The thing that I like about this book from the review is how the themes force the reader to face the dark truths regarding humanity. It's nice to read books about eutopian civilizations, but it can be equally refreshing to read stories that are familiar to our realities. Great job on the review! I'd love to read this.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with a terrific story and a dig into human nature, with its flaws and dark sides that still plague our society. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Masa1
Currently Reading: Creation 1954
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Masa1 »

This book seems really interesting and deep, it’s gave me dark themed and vibes, I really like that kind of books, and your review made it sound like a must to read book, so I’m definitely going to read this book.
Rose Popie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-popie.html
Latest Review: The Binding Stone by Liz D. Marx

Post by Rose Popie »

Thank you for an informative review. I will pass on this book because of its discomforting graphic details of death and abuse. Also, domestic violence is a very sensitive subject for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting psychological thriller novel highlighting a unique protagonist, death violence, domestic abuse, alcoholism, and supernatural abilities. The book is temporarily Free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Katelyn Townsend 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-townsend-1.html
Latest Review: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J.G. Schwartz

Post by Katelyn Townsend 1 »

Despite the abundance of dark themes throughout Making Monsters, including graphic depictions of death and domestic violence, it's a thrilling story told from a nine-year-old's perspective. It will make you question your own decisions in life. Making Monsters is a worthy book of the day!
Mapalo Chipungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mapalo Chipungu »

Vander is inspirational, even in the darkest of times, be the light and progress, good review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”