Review of Shield Down

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of Shield Down

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if a devastating cosmic catastrophe took place? Shield Down by William de Berg provides us with a possible long-term survival guide just in case something like this happens. This science-fiction novel starts with a brilliant scientist of the Swift center, Carletta Jackson, observing and recording a gamma eruption of a magnetar SGR 0245+05. She hurries to inform her old mentor, James Templeton, the astrophysicist who discovered this magnetar. His longtime prediction of a cosmic calamity comes true. A perfect storm occurs - the magnetar erupts when the Earth's magnetic field is weak. Another Templeton's younger colleague, John Bazany, is more or less prepared for the disaster. He built an underground colony of survivalists named Hades Retreat. Bazany and Templeton are sure that the survival of the human race depends on this colony. But Jacqueline DeFazio, the head of NASA’s Space Life Sciences Directorate and Templeton's former love interest, presents her unexpected backup plan.

The book is written uncompromisingly and gives us detailed information about how to survive underground. For example, I hadn't the slightest idea what a convenient plant bamboo was. According to the book, it is suitable as a building material, source of food, paper, and even clothing. The characters are reliable, and a dystopian society is pictured very realistically. For instance, a violent scene with Jim Templeton on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge is horrifying.

It is worth mentioning that the scientific background of the book is very well explained and is easy to comprehend even for such a layperson in the field of astrophysics as I am. I also liked that the author supported his statements with multiple sources given in the footnotes almost on every page of the book.

I disliked that the author abruptly switched the focus off such a promising character as Carletta Jackson was. She is a beautiful African-American woman. Carletta is bright, hard-working, and daring. She came to Templeton when no one else wanted to work with him due to his damaged reputation. I would love to have more, much more of her in the book. Yet, after being mentioned at the beginning of the book, she almost completely disappears, and her fate remains unclear. This aspect of the book left me disappointed. Also, the book lacks a strong storyline, in my opinion. Narrative switches from one perspective to another in a bit erratic manner. I would add that the plot gets too gloomy regarding some characters. I cannot say more to avoid spoilers.

Considering all the mentioned above flaws, I awarded this book with only 3 out of 4 stars. I could not reduce the rating by one more star because of the exceptional editorial work and the absence of errors.

I recommend this book to fans of the science fiction genre. Without any doubt, the book would also appeal to readers of dystopian novels. Readers interested in cosmic catastrophes, theories of mass distinction, and their possible astrophysical explanations should read it as well. Those who love analyzing conspiracy theories would enjoy the book, for it touches on an alleged controversy with NASA's Moon landing. And, of course, survivalists can find very many helpful tips and ideas in this book.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved the book, and it made me ask a lot of questions, including about NASA :). I completely agree with you, Carletta deserved more! Actually, I noticed a trend in many books: they introduce a character at the beginning, and then he/she disappears. I often wonder what happened to them :). Thank you for this great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds right up my alley. I love dystopian books. It seems a little like The City of Ember. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This sounds like the book for me. It sounds exciting and I really love the idea of survival after a catastrophic event
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

If I ever finished reading this book I may act strange. The book sounds great, getting ready for a cosmic catastrophe is just from different and another level. I'll definitely read this one, I should be ready. Hehe.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Holy Moly! This sounds amazing. This is going on my to-read for sure. Even though you took down a star, I am really interested. Thank you for the great review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is for me! I love sci-fi material. Awesome review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I enjoy reading books with scientific background. Thanks for your insightful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that a lady was chosen for the main character. I also like that the book is full of useful information. Thanks for the unbiased review.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Ellylion wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 02:41 [Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if a devastating cosmic catastrophe took place? Shield Down by William de Berg provides us with a possible long-term survival guide just in case something like this happens. This science-fiction novel starts with a brilliant scientist of the Swift center, Carletta Jackson, observing and recording a gamma eruption of a magnetar SGR 0245+05. She hurries to inform her old mentor, James Templeton, the astrophysicist who discovered this magnetar. His longtime prediction of a cosmic calamity comes true. A perfect storm occurs - the magnetar erupts when the Earth's magnetic field is weak. Another Templeton's younger colleague, John Bazany, is more or less prepared for the disaster. He built an underground colony of survivalists named Hades Retreat. Bazany and Templeton are sure that the survival of the human race depends on this colony. But Jacqueline DeFazio, the head of NASA’s Space Life Sciences Directorate and Templeton's former love interest, presents her unexpected backup plan.

The book is written uncompromisingly and gives us detailed information about how to survive underground. For example, I hadn't the slightest idea what a convenient plant bamboo was. According to the book, it is suitable as a building material, source of food, paper, and even clothing. The characters are reliable, and a dystopian society is pictured very realistically. For instance, a violent scene with Jim Templeton on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge is horrifying.

It is worth mentioning that the scientific background of the book is very well explained and is easy to comprehend even for such a layperson in the field of astrophysics as I am. I also liked that the author supported his statements with multiple sources given in the footnotes almost on every page of the book.

I disliked that the author abruptly switched the focus off such a promising character as Carletta Jackson was. She is a beautiful African-American woman. Carletta is bright, hard-working, and daring. She came to Templeton when no one else wanted to work with him due to his damaged reputation. I would love to have more, much more of her in the book. Yet, after being mentioned at the beginning of the book, she almost completely disappears, and her fate remains unclear. This aspect of the book left me disappointed. Also, the book lacks a strong storyline, in my opinion. Narrative switches from one perspective to another in a bit erratic manner. I would add that the plot gets too gloomy regarding some characters. I cannot say more to avoid spoilers.

Considering all the mentioned above flaws, I awarded this book with only 3 out of 4 stars. I could not reduce the rating by one more star because of the exceptional editorial work and the absence of errors.

I recommend this book to fans of the science fiction genre. Without any doubt, the book would also appeal to readers of dystopian novels. Readers interested in cosmic catastrophes, theories of mass distinction, and their possible astrophysical explanations should read it as well. Those who love analyzing conspiracy theories would enjoy the book, for it touches on an alleged controversy with NASA's Moon landing. And, of course, survivalists can find very many helpful tips and ideas in this book.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I enjoyed your review, very detailed review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:57 I loved the book, and it made me ask a lot of questions, including about NASA :). I completely agree with you, Carletta deserved more! Actually, I noticed a trend in many books: they introduce a character at the beginning, and then he/she disappears. I often wonder what happened to them :). Thank you for this great review!
Yes, very disappointing because in this case the book starts from her discovery. And, yeah, NASA definitely hides something! lol Thanks for your kind comments!
Last edited by Ellylion on 25 Jul 2021, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

markodim721 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:23 I think it's great that a lady was chosen for the main character. I also like that the book is full of useful information. Thanks for the unbiased review.
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 07:00 I enjoy reading books with scientific background. Thanks for your insightful review!
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 05:27 This book is for me! I love sci-fi material. Awesome review!
Thank you! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

RayRuff wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 03:19 Holy Moly! This sounds amazing. This is going on my to-read for sure. Even though you took down a star, I am really interested. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you very much for your kind words! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”