Review of Spear's Sacrifice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Spear's Sacrifice

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spear's Sacrifice" by A. A. MacConnell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spear’s Sacrifice is the first book in the Spears of the Lel’ult fantasy fiction series written by A. A. MacConnell. It follows Azzah, a spearwoman, as she accompanies a young girl beyond the Arch, discovering the mastermind behind her greatest tragedy along the way.

Azzah and her spear-sister, Reem, are undefeatable. Tasked with guarding the home of their Lel’ul, Yazid, they serve loyally, spending their days honing their skills and taking pride in their strength as warriors. One terrible day changes that. An attack on Hirka leaves Azzah alone, causing her to roam the forest without a purpose. There she encounters Talei, an Unclean girl with silly stories about a world up north. Azzah’s people share an instilled dislike of the Unclean, so it is with great reluctance that Azzah warms up to Talei, becoming her protector and guide. Their journey to the Arch is rife with danger, even more so with the Cleansing taking place, a fatal purge of the Unclean. Azzah slowly comes to a realization as little truths about the attack on Hirka and Talei’s life come to light. She returns to Hirka to avenge Reem and her Lel’ul, even at the cost of her own life.

The best thing about this book was how beautifully it evoked emotions. Right from the start, the solidarity among the characters is potently evident in how they interacted with one another. The intimacy of the bond between spear-brethren is explicitly stated, then shown by way of Azzah’s emulation of Reem in the little things they do and how they moved in sync. Additionally, a ton of symbolism is used. One such instance is Azzah’s people’s belief that the dead must be buried in the morning and the proper rites followed – the procuring of a blanket and the placing of the warrior’s spear with him or her – and if not done, the dead person is at risk of becoming an evil spirit, not becoming an Ancestor with the others beyond the stars.

What I found most interesting was the prejudiced treatment of the Unclean. The Unclean are ostracized, seemingly only because of the markings on their skin. Even Azzah does not know why they are treated the way they are. It’s still a mystery as to why the divide between her people and theirs even came about. I hope more explanations and backstories are provided as to their origins with the continuation of the series. I can’t pinpoint anything I genuinely disliked about Spear’s Sacrifice except for how overconfident Azzah and Reem were in their skills, inevitably leading to their defeat.

Despite the positive things mentioned about this book, it unfortunately fell short with respect to its correctness of writing. I took note of many errors. Some sentences were rendered incomprehensible as a result of poor grammar and what appeared to be zero proofreading. These factors led me to assume that this book has not been professionally edited. I would also advise interested readers to watch out for a modicum of gore.

I loved this book. The only flaw was that Spear’s Sacrifice had several errors and requires some editing before it’s eligible for a perfect rating, justifying a removal of one star. As such, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy fantasy featuring warriors and adventure with some spiritual components. This novel doesn’t have profane or sexual content, but it does contain some gore and violence, so it is best suited to a mature audience. I do not think that those who prefer fantasy with magical elements would greatly enjoy this book.

Spear's Sacrifice
View: on Bookshelves
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Sounds like an interesting book, from your review, it looks like the author is really able to make the characters come alive!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Everyone has prejudices against something and often we don’t know why. This sounds to me like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Another female protagonist action-based novel, not that I have anything against that, but it seems as though traditional male protagonist action-based novels a thing of the past. A very detailed review, keep up the good work. 👍
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Another female protagonist action-based novel, not that I have anything against that, but it seems as though traditional male protagonist action-based novels a thing of the past. A very detailed review, keep up the good work. 👍
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

It seems like an interesting book full of action! I love that the protagonist is a woman. It seems like a book I love to read. Thanks for the amazing review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to improve its readability and I can look into this series knowing that I won't be distracted by errors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It's unfortunate that this book lacks a higher level of editing. It sounds like it would be a great read if not for that. Great Review.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Benaron wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 13:30 Sounds like an interesting book, from your review, it looks like the author is really able to make the characters come alive!
It honestly felt that way. Thank you for commenting!
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Amy Luman wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 16:41 Everyone has prejudices against something and often we don’t know why. This sounds to me like a good read. Thanks for the review.
This is true, though it is sad. Spear's Sacrifice highlights this in a very realistic way. Enjoy reading, that is, if you decide to give it a try.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Reader Chavez wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 14:06 It seems like an interesting book full of action! I love that the protagonist is a woman. It seems like a book I love to read. Thanks for the amazing review!
I know right! I love female leads, too. And you're welcome!
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Black Jewel wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 17:57 It's unfortunate that this book lacks a higher level of editing. It sounds like it would be a great read if not for that. Great Review.

Indeed, and thank you!
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

NetMassimo wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 04:11 This seems like an engaging fantasy novel, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to improve its readability and I can look into this series knowing that I won't be distracted by errors. Thank you for your great review!
I hope so too. And you're welcome!
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Sounds like a good book. I love your review because I like the way you pointed out the strength of the book. Especially when I see the bond between the brother and sister to overcome the dangers that come through them, which I know might be an interesting book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”