Review of Heroes of Atlantis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pocoyo
Favorite Book: Heroes of Atlantis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pocoyo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Breaks The Ice by AC Michael

Review of Heroes of Atlantis

Post by Pocoyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heroes of Atlantis" by Ryan Carriere.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heroes of Atlantis: Legend of the Dragon Runes by Ryan Carriere is the amazing first book in a two-book series. It is a fictional, fantasy novel that is centered around the mythology of legendary and fantastical creatures, with the author’s unique and creative twists. It follows the separate stories of two teenagers, Roeg and Sephonei, as they both struggle to find not only a sense of belonging and acceptance in their own lives, but to also find a purpose. Roeg is an orphan, adopted into a clan that shuns him for being different yet he earns for acceptance. Sephonei is a young rune hunter, snatched from her home and thrusted into the perils of rune-hunting with basic training. Both characters undertake perilous adventures filled with fearsome beasts and endure trials and tribulations of their own in a quest to find their own calling and to discover the secrets of the Dragon Runes.

This book was thoroughly relatable, as there was a lot of character development for both of the main characters, and readers were afforded the chance to see Roeg and Sephonei grow and adapt to the obstacles they faced. The sense of familiarity and empathy that develops in the reader towards the characters is largely due to the fact that the characters are not made flawlessly, but instead are the ‘black sheep’ or outcast in their respective stories.

The author did an excellent job with highlighting the social ills of prejudice and bias against people who are ‘different’. This also contributes to the sense of familiarity that is felt towards the characters. In addition to this, there were several themes explored in the book that would be beneficial and influential not only to the intended ‘teens and young adult’ audience, but to every demographic, such as friendship, acceptance, introspection and forgiveness.

Illustrations provided in the book as well as the author’s vivid and descriptive writing evoked a lot of colourful and gripping imagery, ensuring an immersive and graphic reading experience. Dialogue in the book was clear and easy to follow and the creative names for beasts in the novel such as, ‘tucksnort’r’ and ‘mammothstomp’r’ added to the extraordinary reading experience.

Ultimately, there is nothing negative to be said about this book, as I could not find a single error, grammatical or otherwise, indicating that it was superbly edited. With no errors, coupled with the exciting and suspenseful plot, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to teenagers and young adults, but it can be read by any age demographic. I also recommend it to readers who enjoy fantasy novels, involving mythological beasts, adventure, and magic.

Heroes of Atlantis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the author has designed an entire civilization. Also, I like that in the book he emphasized prejudices towards a population that differs from the standard.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I love a good fantasy book that show character development. This seems to be a very descriptive book and I think I'll give it a read. Exceptional review
Pocoyo
Favorite Book: Heroes of Atlantis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pocoyo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Breaks The Ice by AC Michael

Post by Pocoyo »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 09:27 I love a good fantasy book that show character development. This seems to be a very descriptive book and I think I'll give it a read. Exceptional review
Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”