Review of An Appeal to U.S Supreme Court and a Proposal to Our President

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of An Appeal to U.S Supreme Court and a Proposal to Our President

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Appeal to U.S Supreme Court and a Proposal to Our President" by Pia Fields.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Appeal to the U.S Supreme Court & A Proposal to Our President by Pia Fields is a nonfiction book. It tells the story of a real-life courtroom drama.

Sydney Fields was born a day after his father died in 1918. Sydney worked hard to bring his family into the middle class. At the time of his death at age 96, Sydney had accumulated 10 million dollars in assets. Her last will (legal document) revealed an increase to the Palmeri's (nieces of his predeceased third wife) share from 1% to 100%. It also reduced the charity allocation from 4 million dollars to $1500 compared to the previous will (legal document) without references. Suspecting foul play, Richard Fields, the second son of the decedent, objected to the probating of his father's last will. However, Judge Mella dismissed Richard's objection and gave all Sydney's estate to the Palmeris. Together, Richard and his former wife, Pia, have made six appeals to three courts in three years. This book details the steps taken to pursue justice for the Fields' family and a proposal by Pia to solve the government's deficit.

The author's writing style was not complex. The author included all the court hearings and proceedings as appropriate. All evidence supporting their claim of theft by the Palmeris was provided and well explained.

The book reveals a lot about what goes on in the judicial space. The case made me believe that law enforcers care more about each other's dignity than the law. For instance, the evidence provided by Richard's lawyer made me question many things (I don’t want to give out a spoiler). I love Pia's courage and determination to help the Fields' family despite the high probability of failure. That was the highlight of the book for me. The self-sacrifice and resilience in the face of all odds are commendable. I also like Pia's outlook on success. She states that success doesn't mean having a large income, but successful people spend minimal resources on great joy and spread happiness to all around them. Also, she believes her proposal could help save approximately 30% of the United States' total annual budget. Through the accommodation of joint ventures with manufacturers and organizations, the government can build low-rent homes in the suburbs. Younger tenants could take care of elderly ones; people can retire early to create more jobs. Also, happiness can be promoted by friendship and entertainment, according to her proposal. I love her basic idea: to use spiritual entertainment to substitute people’s material demands. I long for the kind of society Pia has painted for us in her proposal, and I hope it becomes a reality.

There are a few things I dislike about the book. It contains many grammatical and punctuation errors, which hindered my reading comprehension. I had to read many sentences twice to understand them. Also, the book was not well organized. I feel it needs more structuring. For these reasons, I am rating the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Besides that, I still enjoyed the book. The Fields' story with three mental people in a single-family was quite engaging.

Finally, I recommend the book to law students, lawyers, and judges. I believe they will find it an interesting read and probably be able to dissect it better. I hope someone gives the case the necessary attention it deserves someday soon.

An Appeal to U.S Supreme Court and a Proposal to Our President
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The books is rather interesting, I love how it draws the readers into wanting to know more about the courts proceedings. I also love how it could be helpful to law students, it's a must read for me since I'm also leaning toward the Law path. Great review thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”