Review of When Silence Hurts

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of When Silence Hurts

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Silence Hurts" by Anne Frehill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The historical fiction When Silence Hurts by Anne Frehill steps back in time to Ireland in the 1950s when men were the king of their castles, and they expected women to obey. Evelyn Moore has been living in an abusive marriage for ten years. Kevin Moore is a well-respected veterinarian, and she is a personal assistant to a renowned author. Evelyn frequently hides bruises on her neck and arms, where Kevin physically abuses her. He pulls her hair, has struck her in the face with his fist, and selfishly sexually assaults her. He is also verbally abusive.

While on a week's vacation in Dublin to visit her cousin, Evelyn meets a handsome, mild-mannered doctor named Robert. They have a mutual attraction, and soon their relationship blossoms into an affair. Evelyn decides she has to get out of her marriage while it is still possible and secretly plans how she can leave. Robert had to go to Africa for a few months, and it was after he left Evelyn discovered she was pregnant. Who is the father? Is it Kevin or Robert? How is she going to get away from Kevin now? And What of Robert? How will she tell him she's pregnant?

Anne Frehill did an outstanding job with character development in this book, from Kevin and Evelyn to the town gossip to the Herbalist, who everyone thought was a witch. Aside from her boss, Evelyn Moore was the most liberal female character in the book because she worked outside the home. The story is a classic tale of domestic violence. Kevin Moore is the perfect male when he is around anyone other than his wife. However, at home, he is domineering and abusive. Kevin is even viewed as a hero in the community since he rescued an elderly lady from a burning house.

My favorite thing about this book is how Evelyn, determined to get out of her abusive marriage despite her fear and being seven months pregnant, finally confided in a few special friends who agreed to help her. When the time came to execute her plan, could she work up the courage to run for her life? The chilling circumstances that led to the ending had me holding my breath.

The only complaint I have about this book is that the dialog has a formal tone instead of sounding relaxed and natural in some places. But that didn't interfere with my pleasure in reading this book. I found a few errors, but for a book with 387 pages, it would have surprised me not to find some. I believe the book has been professionally edited.

For the excellent character development, the realistic story of domestic violence and the dynamics surrounding it, and the professional editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is living in an abusive relationship. I would not recommend this book to anyone under sixteen because of profanity, violence, and sexual situations.

When Silence Hurts
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

I feel that the books I read often have an effect on my mood, and I would be quite depressed while reading this book about domestic abuse; therefore, I believe I'll pass on it. It sounds like an intriguing read, however, and someone who wants to learn more about this topic could definitely benefit from it!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Benaron wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:58 I feel that the books I read often have an effect on my mood, and I would be quite depressed while reading this book about domestic abuse; therefore, I believe I'll pass on it. It sounds like an intriguing read, however, and someone who wants to learn more about this topic could definitely benefit from it!
I understand what you mean about books affecting your mood! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Many of the situations described remind me of other books that I’ve read. I love this kind of story because I find myself rooting for the heroine. I’ve come to realize that the solution is never as easy as it seems. Great review.
Hamza E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Hamza E »

The book addresses the problem of domestic violence, which leads to the impact on the reader
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

Wow this was a very descriptive review, it was amazing pal, the lady has been in abusive marriage for ten years, she must be very faithful. Otherwise thanks for sharing this amazing review.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm sure this story represents the horrible abuse that many women deal with. Now I'm curious to find out what happened to Evelyn and her baby.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Cebo Mollifii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cebo Mollifii »

It just trigger a lot of emotions, I really think it's an interesting book 😊
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 15:42 Many of the situations described remind me of other books that I’ve read. I love this kind of story because I find myself rooting for the heroine. I’ve come to realize that the solution is never as easy as it seems. Great review.
No, it isn't! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Hamza E wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 16:46 The book addresses the problem of domestic violence, which leads to the impact on the reader
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ondijo Junior wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 00:18 Wow this was a very descriptive review, it was amazing pal, the lady has been in abusive marriage for ten years, she must be very faithful. Otherwise thanks for sharing this amazing review.
Thank you so much! And, thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 03:24 I'm sure this story represents the horrible abuse that many women deal with. Now I'm curious to find out what happened to Evelyn and her baby.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Cebo Mollifii wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 03:47 It just trigger a lot of emotions, I really think it's an interesting book 😊
i agree, it does trigger a lot of emotions! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

It is sad how these stories keep reoccurring in real life, changing circumstances.. Nice review, thanks, it really piqued my interest and made me care already for the main character Evelyn.

Return to “Historical Fiction”