Review of The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Review of The Spirit of Want

Post by Deprise Evans »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book The Spirit of Want by William H Coles was my first dive into the thriller-suspense genre, and I am so glad I chose this book as my first. It’s a fast read that is comprised of only 62 chapters, keeping me guessing from the first page. As the reader, it proved to be a suspenseful literary journey from beginning to end. While this is my first experience with Cole’s work, it will certainly not be my last.

The book follows the main character Lucy McHale, a high-powered attorney who never lets anything keep her from her work success or getting what she wants in life. However, when she herself faces a murder charge, she proves this aspect of her personality by ridding herself of the charge and marrying her husband, Luke. It then becomes painfully obvious that she only married Luke for convenience and not love. After having a daughter named Jennifer, her life and future decisions are both tested and changed forever when she represents a new client named Hower Bane, a renowned high powered TV preacher and evangelist who is accused of both horrific and scandalous acts. Lucy is almost immediately drawn to him and falls in love, leaving behind her family and her life as she knew it. This decision, however, leads Lucy to be completely shaken by the events and truths that unfold.

The suspenseful and thrilling nature of the book was what drew me to it the most. For me, I found myself constantly anticipating what will happen next. As previously stated, this was my first experience into the thriller genre, and I have to say it was worth the read for me. Coles writing style also draws the reader in as the dynamic of the story is told in the third-person narrative, allowing the reader to experience the storyline and its complexities through each of the characters eyes. I as the reader was able to better understand the interworking aspects of each character’s thoughts, actions and overall development as I progressed through the story. For example, I was able to see the overarching differences that developed in the characters mannerisms whereas where Lucy is impulsive in her actions and decisions, her sister Elizabeth is wise and caring.

There are also some negative aspects of the book that I disliked as well. One of the main aspects that I didn’t like was the sometimes sensitive nature of the subject matter, most specifically when given a deeper understanding of Hower Banes supposed crimes and misdeeds. Additionally, I found myself uncomfortable with the dislike and hatred that Lucy has towards her young daughter. As a woman who desires to be a mother one day in the future, this type of distain was something that broke my heart as I read. Regardless of these negative aspects, I can understand how they added to the overall plot of the story.

Overall, I would rate The Spirit of Want a 3 out of 4 stars. This is simply because while there were no grammatical errors, the book could use a bit of revision as I noticed that there many blank pages contained throughout. Other than this, the book was a perfect read, especially for those who love thrillers with the added aspect of romance. Lastly, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves the thriller genre and are looking for a read that will continually keep them hooked at every turn of the page. However, I should also note that I would not recommend this book for children or immature audiences simply due to the sensitive subject matter that can at times be found.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Suspenseful books can be quite entertaining. I wonder why there were blank pages in the script. Thanks for a detailed review.
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Kike17 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 07:14 Suspenseful books can be quite entertaining. I wonder why there were blank pages in the script. Thanks for a detailed review.
Hi! It really was an entertaining book, so worth the read! I wondered that too, I really don't see the point in them. Thank you so much for taking time to read my review!
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Very suspenseful. Your review makes you feel like you are already reading the book. Thank you for the amazing review.
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 09:10 Very suspenseful. Your review makes you feel like you are already reading the book. Thank you for the amazing review.
It was such a good book! Thank you much for your kind words!
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Marrying whom you don't love is one of the hardest things to do. What a nice thriller, great review
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

A woman lawyer that got married to cover up something shady, only for her to fall in love with her client, abandoning her marriage and getting confronted with the sins of the past. Now she has to face what she had run from in the past. I wonder what happens. Thanks for the review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

I love to read suspense and thriller genre novels and this book seems to be the same. Great review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Miriam nkere wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 10:26 Marrying whom you don't love is one of the hardest things to do. What a nice thriller, great review
Her reasons behind it are so sad. It's a true case of unrequited love. Thank you so much for reading my review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

Emily_Jen wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 08:13 A woman lawyer that got married to cover up something shady, only for her to fall in love with her client, abandoning her marriage and getting confronted with the sins of the past. Now she has to face what she had run from in the past. I wonder what happens. Thanks for the review.
It's such a good book and I loved the plot. I was constantly wondering what will happen next. Thank you so much for checking out my review!
Deprise Evans

Post by Deprise Evans »

NISSE wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:36 I love to read suspense and thriller genre novels and this book seems to be the same. Great review!
So do I its one of my favorite genres to read thanks to this book! Its truly worth the read. Thank you so much for checking out my review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It seems odd that there are blank pages—and costly I'm sure. I am glad that your try at thrillers ended up being a positive experience. thanks for the wonderful review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

I appreciate romance and thrilling books. I’ll definitely enjoy reading this work. Thanks for your captivating review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like an intriguing and suspenceful book. I don't get it why the blank pages intruded, to justify a certain book's length? Anyway, a great review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like love stories with a twist. Perhaps I will read this book. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”