Review of Whirlwind

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Whirlwind

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whirlwind" by S.D. Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lydia, being a nurse, had gone to Seattle, Washington, for a medical conference and met Duncan, a cardiologist. After an immediate attraction between the two of them, Duncan invited her to his home on Orcas Island. The first night she was there, they slept in separate bedrooms. The next morning, Lydia realized someone had come into her room, closed the window, covered her with a blanket, and rifled through her things. Subsequently, Duncan informed her about his sister, Penny, who was bitterly jealous of anyone who captured his attention. She had scared off several women previously, although he hadn’t cared much, having little interest in them. He told Lydia that Penny had attempted to kill her husband in the past and possibly caused the death of his parents when their house burned. Duncan didn’t want to lose Lydia and promised to keep her safe. Soon afterward, he implored her to marry him, and she agreed.

After returning home, Lydia began to worry she had fallen for Duncan too fast and knew little about him and only knew what he had told her about his sister. Was he truly the person he seemed to be, and if so, could he safeguard her from Penny? How far would Penny go to keep Lydia out of Duncan’s life?

Whirlwind by S.D. Cook is a 364-page thriller listed in the romance genre. The author’s prose is suspenseful and easy to understand. She is a registered nurse, so the information concerning Lydia’s life as a nurse is completely realistic. In addition, parts of the book deal with Duncan being a member of the Elks; Ms. Cook and her husband are both members. Therefore, she worked the knowledge they had gained into the story, which made that part authentic as well.

There is a lot to appreciate about this book, especially Lydia’s believable character and the suspense in the tale. The author possesses an excellent ability to entice the reader into the novel early on in the first chapter. She continues to capture our interest throughout the story until the climax and the last page. The tale is narrated from Lydia’s first-person point of view, so it is effortless to understand her actions and experience the fear and suspense that she encounters. One can also comprehend and admire her determination to not allow Penny to frighten her away. I appreciate that this is one of a few books where the primary female protagonist isn’t described as beautiful. Lydia describes herself as “not pretty,” being about five feet tall, overweight, and possessing curly hair. She consumes a lot of beer, and obscenities have been known to fly from her lips. Although she enjoys a terrific sense of humor, it doesn’t take much to make her cry. Duncan and other people seem to be drawn to her. The author has depicted a well-rounded and endearing protagonist in her.

Only a few minor errors were encountered in the book, and they didn’t affect my enjoyment or understanding. Subsequently, this fascinating and suspenseful novel achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who enjoy romance with plenty of excitement and excellent character development. However, readers who prefer to read books without profanities and sex might want to look elsewhere.

Whirlwind
View: on Bookshelves
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Talking about suspense, intriuge, and romance already draws me to this book. I'm wondering what Penny's beef is, though. I also like that the characters are believable.
Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am very curious to find out more! I felt like reading a Charlotte Bronte novel :). Lovely review, as always!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

The main female character isn't conventionally attractive? Sign me up! Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

Great review! I like how you described the characters and mentioned how the story is enriched with the author's own life experience. Now, I would like to read the book to find out more about their story.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Curious to know how the story unravels further. Romance genre has always been intriguing in my case. Well-written review.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

This book sounds like it's riddled with suspense, combined with a solid plot. Nice review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Hhannahh wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 01:09 Talking about suspense, intriuge, and romance already draws me to this book. I'm wondering what Penny's beef is, though. I also like that the characters are believable.
Great review.
I hope you get a chance to read it. I think you will like it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mtibza eM wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:00 Whoa! Now this is what I would like to read. Great review!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did; I think you will. Thanks for dropping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:43 I am very curious to find out more! I felt like reading a Charlotte Bronte novel :). Lovely review, as always!
It was definitely a wonderful book. I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for stopping by, my friend!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

A book that I could read for sure! Thanks for a captivating read. I am interested to read about how this story plays out. What a quick relationship then marriage! The crazy sister already has me creeped out.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

smolbird wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:55 The main female character isn't conventionally attractive? Sign me up! Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation.
I was surprised and intrigued that she wasn't described as "beautiful" as well. I hope you enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Humeyra Karakas wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:52 Great review! I like how you described the characters and mentioned how the story is enriched with the author's own life experience. Now, I would like to read the book to find out more about their story.
I hope you get a chance to read it as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Pooja Bhardwaj wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 09:55 Curious to know how the story unravels further. Romance genre has always been intriguing in my case. Well-written review.
You will need to read it then as I'm sure you would appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Benaron wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 12:11 This book sounds like it's riddled with suspense, combined with a solid plot. Nice review!
You hit the nail on the head! Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”