Review of A Sea for Summer

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of A Sea for Summer

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Sea for Summer" by Shelley Kassian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Claire and Peter have two grown-up kids, successful careers, and twenty-five years of marriage behind them, but they couldn’t be further apart. When Peter tells Claire that he needs space and is leaving, Claire's hopes for salvaging their marriage evaporates. Has he met someone else? Claire thinks this is a very likely possibility.

Claire’s mother, Mary, fiercely loves her only daughter, so much so that she concocts a secret plan to help Peter and Claire save their marriage. Claire thinks she is going to her yearly summer retreat with her girlfriends, but there will be a surprise guest—Peter.

The island is beautiful and remote—an ideal place to rekindle the spark. Still, the retreat will force the couple to face the wrench in their relationship; emotions will run high, and shocking revelations will be made. When all is said and done, will they go home together or their separate ways?

A Sea for Summer by Shelley Kassian is the first book in the Places in the Heart series. The story lives up to the title as it is definitely a breezy summer read. The couple traverses between a small town and a luxurious island, complete with decadent views and miles of sandy beach. It was easy to get lost in the scenery and be transported to the remote island. But it’s not all sunsets and expensive wine; despite the idyllic surroundings, the couple must come to terms with their failing marriage. This means addressing issues that cause resentment and discomfort. The book is told from the third-person perspective and mostly follows Claire but occasionally switches to Peter so readers can fully experience both characters.

My favorite aspect of the story was its simplicity; there were no shocking curveballs. Instead, it unfolded at a leisurely pace, and the characters weren’t overly complex. A Sea for Summer was easy reading—perfect for sitting on the dock at my cottage with a cocktail in hand. The beautiful scenery, romance, and just the right amount of conflict comprised the book, and it was the escape I was craving.

Furthermore, I appreciated how the author addressed relevant issues that apply to couples that have been married for twenty-plus years; I believe there is a shortage of representation for this age group in most romance novels. Readers want to read about what happens when the newness of marriage wears off, and a couple gets a little gray and chubby around the middle—how do they deal with stagnancy in a relationship? Thus, Peter and Claire’s plight will resonate with readers.

The book was exceptionally well edited, and there were no issues with spelling or grammar. There was nothing to dislike, and I am delighted to give this beachy story a rating of four out of four stars because of the idyllic setting and likable cast of characters. Despite being a romantic story, the book was free of raunchy sex scenes and foul language and would be appropriate for any audience.

With that being said, the book is better suited to readers who enjoy reading about mature marriages that are flawed and represent the average couple. I think it would be a perfect choice for a book club!

A Sea for Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Love is central to marriage. I'll have to read this book thoroughly to find out how Peter and Claire managed love in their marriage. Thanks for this.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Ifedigbo_C wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 03:22 Love is central to marriage. I'll have to read this book thoroughly to find out how Peter and Claire managed love in their marriage. Thanks for this.
Thanks for your comment :)
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

The most appealing element of this story would be its simplicity and for this very reason I'd like to give it a try. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Babielyn Alima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Babielyn Alima »

This is a real situation nowadays of being married but the important things is the both of you can handle the struggle of married life.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Sometimes a book that has not shocking moments and is fairly calm can be very pleasant to read. Great review, thank you!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

This is one of those books with which it is incredibly easy to escape from the present.
Ojeyinka Glory

Post by Ojeyinka Glory »

Love is the central element of human lives. Marriage comes with a lot of difficulties especially in this present age. But this book help in showing how marriage can be rekindle back and how love could be ascertain in the family.
RoyalJewel
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RoyalJewel »

When we realize that love isn't always enough in a relationship, then I think navigating through life with our partners will be a lot easier when we are honest about other things that makes up the relationship and face them all squarely.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Wow sounds like an interesting love story. Am curious to know how the couple will end up.Thanks for the beautiful review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Sounds like a book many couples could relate to, especially married couples. No relationship is perfect and it is nice to read stories that share about true situations in marriage. Thanks for the great review!
Chigozirim Frank

Post by Chigozirim Frank »

Great book for couples and I will like to read this to know the ending. We all work in perfecting our relationship, so this book will make sense. Thanks
Aisha Saad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-saad.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Aisha Saad »

I am curious to see how the book will wrap up. A good book to take pointers for married couples. Nobody is perfect, all it takes is understanding the fact and working in strengthening our relationships. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

I always wanted to read more romantic stories that assist me to write a romantic story, but I always feel give up when romantic scenes appear. Nevertheless, I want to read this book. Good review anyway. Thank you!
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope
Sarashi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sarashi »

Oh my
I love the story for its simplicity; there were no shocking curveballs. Instead, it unfolded at an easy pace, and the characters are not even complex.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”