Review of How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review of How To Be Successful

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to be Successful is a self-help non-fiction book by M. Curtis McCoy. The doctors diagnosed him with diabetes and brain cancer, but he did not let his condition define him. As the title says, this book talks about how to manage your life to become successful. The author includes interviews with investors, entrepreneurs, athletes, pastors, and ex-convicts who chose to improve their lives. The question and answer portions include the definition of success, daily steps to improve, strengths and weaknesses, what keeps them awake at night, what inspires them, and advice to their 18-year-old self.

I learned a lot of new information from reading this book. The writing style is very engaging and straightforward. The topics have small sections with helpful headings so they will be easy to remember. Aside from that, there are quotes from famous people and passages from the Bible. I especially love the mention of influential non-fiction books they love to reread that helped them become successful.

Additionally, I notice that almost every interviewee mentioned loyalty, honesty, and integrity as valuable traits in a person. Most of them are highly competitive. They always seize the opportunity to find solutions to every problem they encounter, and they are not afraid to take risks. They choose to hang out with good people who positively affected their outlook and habits. Lastly, they are God-fearing, goal-oriented, and have a strong work ethic.

Despite the motivational content in this book, it fell short in providing citations to support claims on science, research, or studies to make them more credible. At the end of my reading session, I had lots of questions. Where did the author get the information that 70% of Americans qualify as overweight or obese? Or that 80% of Americans are in debt? When did the studies take place?

Because of the missing parts I mentioned above, I give this book rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoy checking the sources of new information, so the lack of citations negatively affected my reading experience. Also, the errors on misplaced modifiers confused me.

I recommend this book to people who look for self-help books to improve their lives. This non-fiction book does not contain profanity or sexual content. However, I do not recommend this to kids younger than 15 years old who do not understand some complex words used in the book. The mention of a firm belief in God and the Bible may affect some non-religious people.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The people you surround yourself with play a crucial role in life. They can help you prosper or derail you. The review is Informative!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Any advice is useful for succeeding in business. The book seems like an education read. Great review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I have reviewed this book too and I learned so much from this book. I liked that the book emphasised that the definition of success is not same for everyone. Thanks for the great review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed reading this book very much and I agree with your rating.
It is a beneficial, motivational book, but it could be better.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the author shared his personal experiences in the book. Such things are priceless.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

It is frustrating to end a book like this and still have questions. I suppose this could encourage further reading but still annoying. Thanks for your honest review.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Excellent review. It's concise and allows me to get the gist of the book quite easily.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I can understand why you would want more information from the author to validate the claims made in the book. Nothing wrong with that! A little fact checking, if you will. I enjoyed your honest review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The book sounds very enjoyable, but I can see how not providing the sources to support his claims could be a problem. I would like to be properly informed and not take only a person's words for it. Thank you for this detailed and honest review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

it's amazing that the author was able to get through brain cancer and diabetes. His story alone is inspirational, but I would like to have references for figures as well. Good call! thanks for the review!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

The interviews you mentioned piqued my curiosity. I'll love to lay my hands on this book. Thanks for an insightful review.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I have always wanted to read this book. It is great. I love self-help books. I also appreciate that the author included all kinds of people in the interview and not just successful people. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

The advice the book gives definitely sounds useful. I imagine it to be kind of motivating to read about the author’s cancer and him still being strong.
That’s actually an amazing trait.
Thanks for your great review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

......... personally, I'd love to be successful so, this looks like a good material that will lead to my success part.. Thanks for great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”