Review by johhn mwenja -- The Real Mr. Big

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
johhn mwenja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johhn-mwenja.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by johhn mwenja -- The Real Mr. Big

Post by johhn mwenja »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Real Mr. Big" by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The real Mr. big, written by Ron Chepesiuk and Jesus Ruiz Henao, is a true narrative of the rise and fall of a man credited with bringing cocaine to the United Kingdom shores.

Jesus Ruiz Henao was born impoverished on a farm in Trujillo, Colombia, and knew he desired more from life. He had learned early in life while growing up in the Colombian coca-growing region, that people made money by selling cocaine. For safety, his father and other farmers were obliged to transport five kilograms of cocaine to the guerillas. He and his two companions Pedro and Jose bought five kilograms of cocaine from the jungle and doubled their profit, becoming Pereira’s largest drug dealer. Ruiz Henao married in 1983 and relocated to the United Kingdom. He found work as a cleaner in an office and then as a bus driver. He started to smuggle cocaine in small quantities in the mail. Later the amount and means of smuggling would increase and get sophisticated. Later he started laundering drug money sent to him from Colombia. Money laundering was done in different ways to avoid being detected by the authorities.

For a long time, the British had been wary of Ruiz Henao, but had not been able to gather enough evidence against him. His acquaintances and close associates were arrested and prosecuted. Following a trail of money, the British were able to apprehend and charge Ruiz Henao with conspiracy to import cocaine into the UK as well as money laundering. He was given a sentence of nineteen years in jail. Other members of his organization were also sentenced to prison for varying periods of time.

The narrative of the book is easy to follow and comprehend. I was able to immerse myself in the plot. I also liked the introduction of a new kind of drug dealer, with no flamboyance or violence. The fact that Ruiz Henao was charged while in prison on conspiracy charges is a true indictment of the British and in most cases other prison services all over the world. There is little rehabilitation that goes on there.

The book's first pages had a well-flowing narrative. There is a change in the narration pattern and flow as more narrators are introduced. I found myself getting lost briefly.
This book is professionally edited. There were no obvious grammatical errors or unexplainable typos. I rate it four out of four stars.

I would recommend this novel to readers who like human redemption stories. Anyone who believes no one is beyond redemption.

The Real Mr. Big
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

johhn mwenja wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 15:44 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Real Mr. Big" by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The real Mr. big

I would recommend this novel to readers who like human redemption stories. Anyone who believes no one is beyond redemption.

The Real Mr. Big
Excellent review and recommendation. I also saw how Henao's family supported him through his incarceration and as a result he was able to survive his prison sentence and be integrated back into everyday life. Good Job!!!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

johhn mwenja wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 15:44 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Real Mr. Big" by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The real Mr. big, written by Ron Chepesiuk and Jesus Ruiz Henao, is a true narrative of the rise and fall of a man credited with bringing cocaine to the United Kingdom shores.

Jesus Ruiz Henao was born impoverished on a farm in Trujillo, Colombia, and knew he desired more from life. He had learned early in life while growing up in the Colombian coca-growing region, that people made money by selling cocaine. For safety, his father and other farmers were obliged to transport five kilograms of cocaine to the guerillas. He and his two companions Pedro and Jose bought five kilograms of cocaine from the jungle and doubled their profit, becoming Pereira’s largest drug dealer. Ruiz Henao married in 1983 and relocated to the United Kingdom. He found work as a cleaner in an office and then as a bus driver. He started to smuggle cocaine in small quantities in the mail. Later the amount and means of smuggling would increase and get sophisticated. Later he started laundering drug money sent to him from Colombia. Money laundering was done in different ways to avoid being detected by the authorities.

For a long time, the British had been wary of Ruiz Henao, but had not been able to gather enough evidence against him. His acquaintances and close associates were arrested and prosecuted. Following a trail of money, the British were able to apprehend and charge Ruiz Henao with conspiracy to import cocaine into the UK as well as money laundering. He was given a sentence of nineteen years in jail. Other members of his organization were also sentenced to prison for varying periods of time.

The narrative of the book is easy to follow and comprehend. I was able to immerse myself in the plot. I also liked the introduction of a new kind of drug dealer, with no flamboyance or violence. The fact that Ruiz Henao was charged while in prison on conspiracy charges is a true indictment of the British and in most cases other prison services all over the world. There is little rehabilitation that goes on there.

The book's first pages had a well-flowing narrative. There is a change in the narration pattern and flow as more narrators are introduced. I found myself getting lost briefly.
This book is professionally edited. There were no obvious grammatical errors or unexplainable typos. I rate it four out of four stars.

The Real Mr. Big
Excellent review!!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”