Review by Reader-247 -- Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Review by Reader-247 -- Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Reader-247 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rescued" by E. Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Thurgood ‘JT’ Thomas does not think that there will be life altering repercussions when he decides to open fire on the no good thugs who have captured poor helpless women and dragging them through the scenic mountainous valley in Colorado but that is exactly what happens to him in Rescued the first installment of the JT Thomas adventure saga by E. Alan Fleischauer.

JT, as called by his friends, travels through the west capturing and killing bandits as a bounty hunter. He is a “good egg” who cannot stand the maltreatment of the defenseless and vulnerable. On this particular day he makes a quick decision to save the damsels in distress along with his trusty twin horses Pete & Re-Pete only to pave way for a new adventures with new friends, foes and fortune.

While reading the book I found it to be fast paced and keeping the reader engaged throughout without a dull moment. It is written in non-pretentious, simple and easy English making it easy to understand and even imagine the scenes. I also liked the way JT’s backstory is given in bits and pieces throughout the book, just when you think you have known him, you are given a new piece of information about him which makes him fascinating. I also like how JT does not kill people without hesitation, instead he has a moral compass which guides him to give people a chance and a fair trial. JT’s character is personally what compels me to further read other books in the series.

I, however, do not like the way people are killed fairly easily providing quite gory and gruesome descriptive details e.g. the bar fight between JT and the pig farmer. Even the ladies are killing without any remorse and in the name of self-defense, maybe it is the era and location in which the story is set but I still find it far from reality.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because although the story line is griping it sometimes feels too good to be true e.g. how JT finds the hidden fortune and all other characters he came across and shared the secret with help him keep it and nobody even tries to steal it from him. Sometimes the climax also felt quite predictable e.g. how JT’s name is cleared of the charges he faces at the end. However, Fleischauer does provide us a reason to read the next book in the series with something left unsolved.

For anyone who likes books set in a western backdrop with gunfights and bar brawls, a little romance and mystery, this book is a must read. I would not recommend this for people who do not like bloody fights and murders.

Rescued
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Details in the book should be more developed. I love the review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I like books with an easy flow of writing style.
Sadly, I avoid one with gory descriptions.
This sounds like a typical action-packed Western book.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

JT seems like a nobleman since he's on a mission to defend the defenseless. I, however, agree with you that too much killing and gruesome scenes can dampen an otherwise gripping read.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 08:41 Details in the book should be more developed. I love the review!
I think they will develop in the later parts. Thanks for the kind words :tiphat:
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 21:11 I like books with an easy flow of writing style.
Sadly, I avoid one with gory descriptions.
This sounds like a typical action-packed Western book.
Thanks for your review.
Yes, that kind of writing style is also instrumental for the reader to keep on reading! It definitely is Western through and through. Thanks for your comment :)
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Fireside119 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 04:04 JT seems like a nobleman since he's on a mission to defend the defenseless. I, however, agree with you that too much killing and gruesome scenes can dampen an otherwise gripping read.

Nobleman and he cooks as well :). Do give it a read, it was an interesting story. Thanks for your comment :)
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I think barbaric scenes in action packed novels is like a necessary evil. However , the severity of the scenes should be decided by keeping the audience in mind. Interesting analysis and an even better review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I find it suspenseful that JT triggered a series of what seem like unlikely events while rescuing the helpless women. Unfortunately, gory stories are not my cup of tea. Thank you for a lovely review!
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

An engaging review this is. I look forward to reading the main book in the near future. Good job
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I totally understand your concern regarding the book. However, I felt like the author did a great job in illustrating that period of time specific to the western movies. The audience is definitely meant for John Wayne fans :). Thank you for this honest review!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Thanks for the review! Not my type of book as I don’t like gruesome scenes or westerns really.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

The frant1c reader wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:45 I think barbaric scenes in action packed novels is like a necessary evil. However , the severity of the scenes should be decided by keeping the audience in mind. Interesting analysis and an even better review! :D
Yes, :) honestly, I think western books are bound to have them. Thanks for your kind words :)
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Mwatu wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 04:44 I find it suspenseful that JT triggered a series of what seem like unlikely events while rescuing the helpless women. Unfortunately, gory stories are not my cup of tea. Thank you for a lovely review!
Just the same level of gore as in western movies. I hope you come around as the story is interesting :) Thanks gor stopping by :)
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Chizioboli wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 19:11 An engaging review this is. I look forward to reading the main book in the near future. Good job
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”