Review of Higher Ground

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review of Higher Ground

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Higher Ground" by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Higher Ground is the audiobook companion of the book by Sophia Edwards-Bennett. It is a nonfiction self-help book written to empower cancer patients and help guide their mindset at the onset of cancer treatment. You can listen to it in less than an hour at the default speed.

Notably, her patients called the author Dr. EB. As a Board-Certified Radiation Oncologist, she wrote Higher Ground to help cancer patients cope with the psychological aspect of healing. She explained the Big-C Re-Attitude elements of Hope, Identity, Self-Worth, Life Appraisal, Admiration/Affirmation, Mind Rehabilitation, and Renewed Purpose.

The author narrated the entire book. Based on the level of soberness in the contents, her reading style brought the text to life. The author’s tone fitted into the overall mood of the book. I immediately warmed up to her accent, and I could feel the sincerity in her diction. Her rendition of her original proses and chant sounded like lyrics to my ears. Her conversational tone helped me imagine she was talking in front of me.

However, I had trouble transcribing some words uttered by the narrator/author. The transitional music was abrupt, so I didn’t have enough time to brace myself for the next part. The voice quality was not consistent. Some words were hard to understand because of the interference of a hoarse voice or a lower volume. Thus, they affected my experience of listening to the audiobook. The sophisticated words did not keep me engaged in the narrative.

To sum up, I give this audiobook has a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because of the poor audio quality. I cannot say I found errors because I do not own a written copy, and I solely rely on what I heard. The mention of Chapter Ten confused me. It made me think the contents were incomplete. Other than that, I highly appreciate the mention of a section of a book, like for introduction or appendix. The latest references of works written in 2018 and 2020 assured me that the contents were relevant as of its writing.

This audiobook is best for people who prefer to listen to the contents of Higher Ground. Cancer patients and other people who are indirectly affected by cancer can learn something from this self-help book. I especially recommend this to visually impaired readers. The highly sophisticated words may not be suitable for beginner readers, and I find it best for those fluent in English. The subtle religious reference is acceptable for religious or non-religious listeners. There is no violence or profanity in the contents.

Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

It's theme is relevant as I know of may people that can benefit from the self-help tips on cancer. Thanks for a thorough review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I hardly ever listen to audiobooks, so I suppose I am a bit old-fashioned. This one sounds like it will be useful for people undergoing cancer treatments.

Thank you for your insightful analysis.
😌
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the author had a good idea to share her guidelines in order to help cancer patients deal with this infliction. However, there is room for improvement. Thank you for your detailed and balanced review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I haven't listened to many audiobooks, but it is something I want to try more. I don't really enjoy non-fiction books, so I probably wouldn't try this one. I don't believe I am the recommended audience either. This is a great review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like audiobooks because I can have them playing in the background as I perform other tasks. This one, however, will be a nuisance due to the poor audio quality.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It would be really helpful in prepping for the treatments ahead. And audio is a plus because it can be played and motivation can be felt. Thank you for a wonderful review!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

The psychological aspects surrounding any cancer diagnosis would most definitely affect a patient’s ability to heal, both physically and emotionally. It sounds like this author exhibited a deep understanding of what many cancer patients go through, and her position as a radiation oncologist gave her an immense degree of specialized insight. Thank you for your review!
tokorowwallace
Currently Reading: a war for crimson embers
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by tokorowwallace »

I am doubtful about many of these books and their pressuring tone towards having an unrealistic overly-positive outward performance. Reading books like this would be helpful and useful for me, though, since I have worked briefly in long-term healthcare caring for seniors in their end-of-life stages and also working with their visiting families and legal medical powers of attorney, so understanding and learning principles towards management and coping of shock and comforting go a long way, myself also living with a chronic condition at a young age. I do need to seek out more of these kinds of medical guides, so I hope your review will challenge and motivate me here.

I like your mention that the conversational tone of the author makes her sound as if she's right in the room with you, speaking to you personally, Dzejn! I'm glad you are selecting such books for review, as well as given the opportunity. Thanks for the review and reminder, friend.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:03 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Higher Ground" by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Higher Ground is the audiobook companion of the book by Sophia Edwards-Bennett. It is a nonfiction self-help book written to empower cancer patients and help guide their mindset at the onset of cancer treatment. You can listen to it in less than an hour at the default speed.

Notably, her patients called the author Dr. EB. As a Board-Certified Radiation Oncologist, she wrote Higher Ground to help cancer patients cope with the psychological aspect of healing. She explained the Big-C Re-Attitude elements of Hope, Identity, Self-Worth, Life Appraisal, Admiration/Affirmation, Mind Rehabilitation, and Renewed Purpose.

The author narrated the entire book. Based on the level of soberness in the contents, her reading style brought the text to life. The author’s tone fitted into the overall mood of the book. I immediately warmed up to her accent, and I could feel the sincerity in her diction. Her rendition of her original proses and chant sounded like lyrics to my ears. Her conversational tone helped me imagine she was talking in front of me.

However, I had trouble transcribing some words uttered by the narrator/author. The transitional music was abrupt, so I didn’t have enough time to brace myself for the next part. The voice quality was not consistent. Some words were hard to understand because of the interference of a hoarse voice or a lower volume. Thus, they affected my experience of listening to the audiobook. The sophisticated words did not keep me engaged in the narrative.

To sum up, I give this audiobook has a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because of the poor audio quality. I cannot say I found errors because I do not own a written copy, and I solely rely on what I heard. The mention of Chapter Ten confused me. It made me think the contents were incomplete. Other than that, I highly appreciate the mention of a section of a book, like for introduction or appendix. The latest references of works written in 2018 and 2020 assured me that the contents were relevant as of its writing.

This audiobook is best for people who prefer to listen to the contents of Higher Ground. Cancer patients and other people who are indirectly affected by cancer can learn something from this self-help book. I especially recommend this to visually impaired readers. The highly sophisticated words may not be suitable for beginner readers, and I find it best for those fluent in English. The subtle religious reference is acceptable for religious or non-religious listeners. There is no violence or profanity in the contents.

Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Detailed review.Thanks
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book is a self-help that will benefit a lot of people that needs remedy and source of encouragement. Thanks for an insightful review.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Your review explained a lot about the contents of the book. The idea of helping people affected by cancer using this self-help book in itself is amazing. This book seems like a wonderful source of motivation for them. Thanks for your detailed review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A good self-help book can be useful to people who are facing such a difficult battle and the people close to them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There have been studies that prove attitude can make a big difference in cancer treatment. This sounds like a perfect book for someone diagnosed with cancer. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

It's difficult to spot errors in an audiobook. This one seems to be an informative book. Thank you for the detailed review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”