Official Review: Somebody’s Watching You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Somebody’s Watching You

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Somebody’s Watching You" by Robin D'Amato.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Somebody’s Watching You is a fictional novel written by Robin D’Amato. This book is full of suspense and will appeal to adults who enjoy the thriller genre. The book tells the story of a couple from Long Island who becomes dangerously involved in a cult and fight to gain back their freedom.

Melody met Jeff in a live music bar in Long Island. Melody is a freelance interior designer, and Jeff is a DJ at a local radio station. They immediately hit it off and enjoy talking about their mutual love of music. They both have a dream of living in New York City but are excited to buy a perfect home in Long Island, with enough space for their very own music room.

Ten years later, Jeff has taken a turn for the worst with his mental health. He is suffering from depression. He hardly laughs or communicates and often stays in bed for days on end. Melody has taken a lot of time away from work to stay at home and care for Jeff. One day, out of the blue, Jeff gets out of bed, showers, and takes the car for a drive. Melody begins to worry as time passes on, but he returns with a book. This book was given to him by Floyd from the Church of Philomathics, and the book is by their deceased founder E.W. Peabody. Jeff spends more time with Floyd and at the Church, and his health improves, although Melody feels perturbed by his disquieting smile. Melody supports her husband and pretends she is interested in his new religious teachings, but she soon realises the unnatural hold this organisation has over their lives. Melody finds out first-hand the dangers of this oppressive belief system.

This novel cleverly describes how religious organisations with cult mentalities prey on vulnerable people. I liked how the author gave Jeff an illness that made him open to persuasion and control. The book shows mechanisms of brain-washing individuals and reminds the reader that this could happen to any one of us. The author builds tension in the book as the pressure of the cult becomes more intense. The book is a real page-turner, and I found it very hard to put down. As a reader, I felt empathy, concern, fear, and anger for the characters as the story progressed and an increasing hatred for the Church of Philomathics and its zombie-like followers.

I enjoyed the characters in the book. Their meeting was romantic, and it was nice to read about the progression of their relationship. The depression Jeff suffered with is hard to read, and the constant imposition of the church members is intolerable. Throughout the book, I desperately wanted things to work out for the couple and for those with bad intentions to be punished. The author has provided lead characters that deserve a happy ending.

The author includes workplace tension for Melody. This part of the story is relatable to anyone who has had issues with work colleagues and makes the reader admire Melody’s strength. She handles these problems with dignity and intelligence, and I thought she was an admirable and strong female lead character.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book, and I didn’t find any spelling or grammar errors, so I believe it is exceptionally edited. I loved the storyline and thought it was scary that this fictional story reminded me of other religious belief systems and how they may behave in ways similar to those described in this book. I loved the characters, and I enjoyed the build-up of suspense and tension. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Any adult reader will enjoy this book who likes a thrilling tale about unscrupulous religious organisations who prey on the vulnerable and use threatening and unlawful tactics to intimidate their members.

Somebody’s Watching You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Organisations that target the most vulnerable emotions among humans is surely one of the most despicable instances of manipulation. But it also makes it the most interesting element for reading this book nevertheless.;)
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I must say, It's an something new to read about. I had never came across of any book with this kind of plot. It would be an interesting read for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
Trungdn
Currently Reading: Their Winter Burn
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trungdn.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Trungdn »

Here are some of the highlights of the novel:

Gripping plot: The novel's plot is tightly constructed and logical. The events are interwoven in a clever way, making it impossible to predict what will happen next.
Well-developed characters: The characters in the novel are very realistic and believable. You will easily empathize with them and you will want to know what happens to them.
Surprise ending: The novel's ending is very surprising and it will make you think.
If you are a fan of the thriller genre, then you should definitely read this book. Somebody’s Watching You is a suspenseful novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Healing Wounds of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sia_young »

I like how the book was summarised in this review. I was more and more curious as I read about Jeff and Melody. The cult organisations and their influence on weak people, how they are like parasites that destroy life slowly, has always kept me intrigued. I have watched a lot of shows that is about cult organisations and their actions. I can't wait to read this one!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It sounds like this religious organization, which Jeff sets in will put him in danger. I hope Melody will be able to monitor Jeff and he will not be captured totally by the cult. I'm certain this book is intense to read with its dark themes. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
General mac
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by General mac »

It could be an interesting read to me. I haven't read a book with this kind of plot with unscrupulous religious organizations who prey on the vulnerable and use threatening and unlawful tactics to intimidate their members. Thank you for the amazing review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚 📚📚 of the day BOTD is other fiction and a phycological thriller with creepy element jeff exhibit sudden signs of mental health he is convinced the church is curing him he became increasingly immersed in the teaching soon she discover the cult on top of it mysterious Floyd keeps creepy eyes on her, she risk his marriage for the truth will Floyd figure out her pretence hating church and everything it stands for the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅📚
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 546
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

"Somebody's Watching You" by Robin D'Amato is a fictional novel and thriller full of suspense. A couple from Long Island will have to fight for their freedom again when a dangerous cult tries to take it away from them.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY ROBIN D'AMATO ABOUT A COUPLE FROM LONG ISLAND DANGEROUSLY INVOLVED IN A SECT AND FIGHTING TO FIND FREEDOM, BRAINWASHING, MENTAL DEPRESSION...
A BOOK FOR ADULT FANS OF SCIENCE FICTION AND THRILLER.GOOD REVIEW
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

Is the church/cult based upon Christian beliefs or do they just share the church name?
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Intriguing how Jeff's depression leads to a cult's influence and Melody's fight for freedom. The suspenseful plot and relatable characters make me curious to dive into this gripping thriller.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Unique Esther 20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Unique Esther 20 »

Somebody is watching you by Robin D’amato is a fictional and a thriller book and it is full of supsense. It’s like a religious organization that Jeff sets in that put him in danger I hope melody will be as to protect Jeff
The Novel ending is very surprising I recommend you read this novel. It’s a good novel
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

Somebody's Watching You by Robin D'Amato is fiction parallel to facts about fanatics and idolatry. The official review rightly so emphasized how some groups, through discourse & scripts, manipulate people's weakness, aggravating fear & helplessness. The book resolves the conflict with the love, courage and sterling support of the wife. Prying eyes of vicious idolaters are blinded & refuse to see The Light from The Almighty Watching everyone closely. Thanks for the well written review.
Noorko
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorko.html
Latest Review: Their Winter Burn by Mary Ann Trail

Post by Noorko »

I have never read a book before that describes unjust religious organizations that prey on the weak with such perfection. Looks like Jeff touched on something in his real life.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”