Official Review: Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman

Post by Mariana Figueira »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman" by Vinny Green.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman narrates the story of detective Nikki and her life story. The novel begins with her at the funeral of an innocent child she failed to save, but nearly all of the following chapters have little to do with it.

The reader learns about the Detective's formative years and the challenges she faced while playing football in college and being on the track team. She also faces many difficulties and dangers while being part of the U.S. Navy and next in the NYPD.

This book touches on many delicate subjects, such as corruption within the law enforcement, human and drug trafficking, rape, and sexual abuse; since it additionally includes a great deal of violence and vulgar language, it's definitely written for adults, despite the illustrations that remind of a teen novel. Lastly, the author topped it all with sprinkles of racism and misogyny.

In all sincerity, I didn't enjoy this book very much. I felt like author Vincent E. Green tried to concoct an inspiring story about an empowered woman but produced a character very clearly written through the male gaze, due to sentences like "her manicured fingers" and "the wound was sexy on her slender leg." This was my least favorite part about the book. Additionally, Nikki was so talented in so many areas that she wasn't realistic at all.

Furthermore, the story felt unnecessarily long. The book has over 250 pages, divided into episodes and then into 37 chapters. It didn't have a climax, making the whole storyline seem flat and unexciting; there wasn't much progress to the plot, just accounts of the different stages of Nikki's life. The novel also included chapters about her family members, which didn't feel relevant to the bigger picture. Besides, some of Nikki's dialogues were more like monologues, as they felt unreal and practiced. Lastly, this novel has more than ten errors, which suggests it needs further editing.

I find it noteworthy that, while Nikki and her family believe in God, this book is suitable for people of all religions. Plus, the ending is unsatisfying, but that might have to do with the fact that this book is part of a series.

It wasn't all bad; the action scenes (and there were more than a few) were decently written and had enough details to feel like you were there; this was my favorite thing about the novel. Moreover, some aspects about Nikki are wonderful, like her love for her family and her dedication to her job.

Overall, this was an average novel. Because of the numerous aspects mentioned above, I grant this two out of four stars. I believe adults who like police-themed action novels will enjoy this after it goes through another round of editing.

Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

It sounds like an unfortunate attempt to make a Mary Sue hold up a weak storyline. Doesn't sound like a book for me, but I really appreciate your honest review!
Mariana Figueira

Gabby S14 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 11:12 It sounds like an unfortunate attempt to make a Mary Sue hold up a weak storyline. Doesn't sound like a book for me, but I really appreciate your honest review!
Thank you!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I understand your point about the author writing about a female lead character through the lens of the male gaze. That would make the story difficult to believe and connect with. Hopefully, some revisions can be made.

Thank you for sharing your opinions.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

At least we must applaud the author's intentions of creating a powerful female character, as unrealistic as it was. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel has some interesting elements, with some more editing it might be exciting. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Hopefully, revisions are done to make the book more interesting. Thank you for your honest review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That cover is so pretty and deceptive. It's a teen book, but then it's not. Nikki is an accomplished woman and her character is as strong as possible but in an unrealistic manner. It felt like a failed moon(strong female protsgonist) mission. Thank you for your honest review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Sounds like the book covers too many hectic and deep themes all at once. I don't think I can take that just yet but thabks for the candid review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the honest review. Maybe that's why I decide to dedicate my time and concentration to this book.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I applaud you for being able to make it through this book; I would have given up at the “sexy wound” part. It seems the author has a lot of work to do, so hopefully he takes your advice. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I agree with you on the parts you don't like about the book.
Describing women through the eyes of the opposite sex can be challenging indeed.
I enjoy reading a book with a strong climax, so I'll see if the flat plot is manageable to read.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mariana Figueira

Josephe-Anne wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 21:08 I understand your point about the author writing about a female lead character through the lens of the male gaze. That would make the story difficult to believe and connect with. Hopefully, some revisions can be made.

Thank you for sharing your opinions.
:techie-studyinggray:
Thank you for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 03:23 At least we must applaud the author's intentions of creating a powerful female character, as unrealistic as it was. Great review!
Yes, I believe he had the best intentions. Thank you!
NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 06:46 The novel has some interesting elements, with some more editing it might be exciting. Thank you for your honest review!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Mariana Figueira

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:00 That cover is so pretty and deceptive. It's a teen book, but then it's not. Nikki is an accomplished woman and her character is as strong as possible but in an unrealistic manner. It felt like a failed moon(strong female protsgonist) mission. Thank you for your honest review!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:20 Sounds like the book covers too many hectic and deep themes all at once. I don't think I can take that just yet but thabks for the candid review.
Yes, I would say that these topics are not the dominant ones, hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by!
markodim721 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:54 Thanks for the honest review. Maybe that's why I decide to dedicate my time and concentration to this book.
Thanks for commenting!
Mariana Figueira

maggi3 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 14:43 I applaud you for being able to make it through this book; I would have given up at the “sexy wound” part. It seems the author has a lot of work to do, so hopefully he takes your advice. Thanks for the review!
That bothered me, I'm not gonna lie.
Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 03:43 I agree with you on the parts you don't like about the book.
Describing women through the eyes of the opposite sex can be challenging indeed.
I enjoy reading a book with a strong climax, so I'll see if the flat plot is manageable to read.
Thank you for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”