Question about a comma

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Question about a comma

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Hello,
Please help me with an opinion regarding the comma used in the phrase below:

"Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were the only friends I had made in basic training, who I know were already out in the jungle."

I think that it does not serve any purpose for being there. What do you think?
Thank you
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would probably consider that a stylistic choice, being used as emphasis.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 14:13 I would probably consider that a stylistic choice, being used as emphasis.
Thank you, then I will ignore it.
Sandy Armstrong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy-armstrong.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandy Armstrong »

Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were already out in the jungle and the only friends I made since basic training. (?) Does that work?
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Another alternative --
Already out in the jungle, Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were the only friends I had made in basic training.
OR
The only friends I had made in basic training, Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were already out in the jungle.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Juliet+1 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 23:43 Another alternative --
Already out in the jungle, Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were the only friends I had made in basic training.
OR
The only friends I had made in basic training, Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were already out in the jungle.
Sandy Armstrong wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 20:03 Dan Bownds and Tom Lensing were already out in the jungle and the only friends I made since basic training. (?) Does that work?
Thank you for your suggestions!
I didn't write the phrase; I found it in the book that I am currently reading, and I was conflicted about counting another error or not.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I agree with MrsCatInTheHat that it is stylistic and used for emphasis. The term "jungle" in the English language has many meanings. I'm not sure what the author means as I would need to see more of the text to determine his (or her, although that is unlikely) intentions. His friends may be literally in the jungle or it could be figurative, as in his friends grew up in a place that was so traumatizing to grow up in that they already had PTSD. If someone grows up in a war-torn country surrounded by violence, it could be said that they grew up in the jungle and consequently, will likely display symptoms of PTSD. Assuming that you are not from the U.S., this is probably because there were a large number of Vietnam veterans who were diagnosed with PTSD after the Vietnam War. There are other possible interpretations of the word jungle. As you used the phrase "basic training" , I provided a possible military and psychological interpretation. Now I'm curious!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 09:41 I agree with MrsCatInTheHat that it is stylistic and used for emphasis. The term "jungle" in the English language has many meanings. I'm not sure what the author means as I would need to see more of the text to determine his (or her, although that is unlikely) intentions. His friends may be literally in the jungle or it could be figurative, as in his friends grew up in a place that was so traumatizing to grow up in that they already had PTSD. If someone grows up in a war-torn country surrounded by violence, it could be said that they grew up in the jungle and consequently, will likely display symptoms of PTSD. Assuming that you are not from the U.S., this is probably because there were a large number of Vietnam veterans who were diagnosed with PTSD after the Vietnam War. There are other possible interpretations of the word jungle. As you used the phrase "basic training" , I provided a possible military and psychological interpretation. Now I'm curious!
The characters were actually in the jungle, where they were fighting in the Vietnam War. So everything was literal :).
However, I do appreciate your observations and nuances, as I was not aware there were so many possible meanings.
Thank you for your feedback!

Return to “International Grammar”